PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Title edited for caps an brevity. See Rule 9. Original title:

"Wanted a more bent / Oom Paul-ish corn cob clencher, but they don't make one..."

....so I made one. This was bouncing around in my head for a while, and then when I stopped at the local tobacco shop and saw one of those Diplomat 5th Ave cobs, I figured it would be the perfect donor. I needed something that had a bit of material under the stem to account for the angle change. Anyway, enough of that, the pics tell the story...

cob1.jpg

cob2.jpg

cob3.jpg

cob4.jpg

cob5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Final product:

cob12.jpg

cob13.jpg

cob14.jpg

cob15.jpg

This was a fun project, and took about 45 min to do. Very easy and straight forward with the right tools. Steam took care of loosening the glue to get the shank out of the cob, and then I re-drilled the hole at an angle to hopefully capture most of the original hole using a forstner bit. I trimmed the shank back a bit so that I could get a little larger diameter for the hole and give it the right proportion in length. I thinned out the bowl just a little bit by cutting off the top excess then giving it a nice taper. I bent the bit using a heat gun, and the shank is just a press fit (no glue). Nice and tight.

Weighs in at a scant 31 grams. It clenches like a dream. I can actually open my mouth and it just hangs there on a tooth. I know that cobs are already pretty clench-friendly, but I wanted something that was effortless and MM doesn't make a fully bent model. I saw someone used to either make their own or modify ones like this, but they no longer do it and really there was nothing stopping me. It smokes fabulously, just like a cob should.

I really wish that MM would make this model. I'm half tempted to make about 5 more of these and just send them in to MM and ask their head honchos to give them a go for a few weeks and see what they think.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
That looks great! How does it smoke? I'm sure like a charm. I think there is a good demand for a more fully bent cob.
I haven't tried it yet. I can report back when I have, but it feels very nice. I might try to make a new one someday with a more dramatic angle on the shank?