PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
I’m a carpenter/remodeling contractor by trade, but rarely put my woodworking tools to use for making much other than cabinets, vanities, custom trimwork jobs, etc. However, I was approached recently to build something for a raffle/auction for a charity motorcycle ride to benefit a Christian foster home organization.

So, from a simple but beautifully grained piece of cedar came this custom cigar ashtray and display stand, which I designed and made. Finished with lacquer, it holds up to a 60 ring gauge cigar in all four slots.

I didn’t stick around for the event as I don’t rides motorcycle, but hopefully it drew in lots of raffle tickets for the foster home organization!

Happy smoking, Stef

IMG_1815.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1790.jpeg
    IMG_1790.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 11

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It is a very interesting design, but we need its measurements to comment on its practicality. Just looking at it it seems too short across for two 7x60 ring gauge cigars.

Reactions: Tongue-Fried

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
It is a very interesting design, but we need its measurements to comment on its practicality. Just looking at it it seems too short across for two 7x60 ring gauge cigars.
The ashtray was for a Christian charity and Christian biker club, so I thought it fitting to do a cross, which is what the design is. As far as dimensions go, the rail/horizontal portion is 7” across, and the stile/vertical portion is 10” tall.

The width of both sections was 3”, and each cigar rest was drilled with a 1” forstner bit, then sanded from 80-grit to a finish grit sandpaper. That being said, they probably ended up at about 1 1/16” total ID (inside diameter) for the cigar rests at their widest point once I was done, so could possibly hold larger than a 60-rg cigar.

Each cigar rest is 1.5”/1 1/2” in length, which I felt would offer better support and balance, especially for heavier, larger gauge and longer cigars.