PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Hello and Merry Christmas,
I took out my Old Boy to light up my Ardor 2003 Christmas Pipe this afternoon and I was out of fuel. Absentmindedly I used my thumbnail to unscrew the bottom. Tried filling it up and realized that I had unscrewed the flame adjustment screw. I didn't even know this would come out. I am unable to get it back in to the proper place and I don't want to ruin anything on this. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the screw back in? The screw remains up a few millimeters and is not flush with the body like it used to be. (I stopped turning the screw when I met resistance.)

Last edited by a moderator:

RaoulDuke

Lurker
Apr 25, 2020
Australia
I had a similar problem (kind of) with a Sillems old boy I have.

I received it brand new and after filling with gas, I adjusted the screw to the minimum flame size (screwed in until I met resistance) but the flame was enormous and would empty a full tank in a matter of minutes.

I assumed it was faulty and returned it for a replacement (great service from Estervals).

The new one I received had exactly the same problem. So after completely unscrewing the flame adjuster, I removed the whole bottom piece and screwed the flame adjuster back in until I met resistance.

This solved my problem and I could adjust it so no gas at all was coming out.

I think the initial resistance I was encountering was a seal or something and I had to ‘force’ the screw past it which I was reluctant to do on such an expensive lighter.

If you too are reluctant to ‘force’ the screw past the resistance, I’d suggest removing it, removing the bottom piece, replacing the screw and then replacing the bottom piece.

Hopefully this will solve your issue.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Great, I will give this a try tomorrow when I have some time to work on it. I definitely do not want to ruin this nice lighter.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
When I saw the thread title, thinking about all the old boys here, I thought this might be a new method of inserting your finger up your ass to check your prostrate. I was mildly disappointed to discover the subject was a lighter. Sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: karam

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Ok, I wasn't able to screw it in with any reasonable force. I am wondering if anybody has used a repair service and if they were happy with it.