PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Title edited for capitalization. Please read Rule 9.

Hi! I have two Corona Old Boy Lighters and I love them. The only issue I have with them is that the flint wheel tends to tighten the screw holding it sometimes to the point where it's very hard to make it spin. I think it's an issue with the flint residue building a cake that eventually gets to the sides of the screw and makes it catch the wheel. If I loosen it a little, it gets tight again in no time. I'm using Corona flints, by the way.

What I do is disarm the wheel and clean both it and the screw with acetone. It usually lasts about a month, but then I have the same problem again. I still have to try and drop a tiny drop of lubricant to see if it lasts longer.

Does anyones else have the same problem? What do you do to avoid it? Any cleaning tips beyond what I said?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Check to see if the piece of metal holding the striker wheel in place has bent down from a level position. Depending on your striking action, the metal can bend and apply downward pressure, affecting the striking action.
Thank you for your reply. You mean the little pipe thingy inside which goes the flint? There's no problem with it. If there was, it would be permanent. But when I clean the lighter, it works wonderfully for a month or so. That's why I think it is caused by residue accumulation.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thank you for your reply. You mean the little pipe thingy inside which goes the flint? There's no problem with it. If there was, it would be permanent. But when I clean the lighter, it works wonderfully for a month or so. That's why I think it is caused by residue accumulation.

No, check the little extended cap with the screw that holds the striker wheel in place. If your thumb rakes across the wheel at a downward angle, the little cap can get bent and come in contact with the wheel, creating undue friction. The metal should be level with a visible gap between the piece that covers the wheel assembly and the wheel.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Remove the flint screw/spring and send a drill bit (just the right diameter) up the shaft. You are not using a drill, rather the drill bit is utilized with your fingers... by hand. Gently rotate the drill bit so that it breaks up the residue. You can tap the bottom of the the lighter occasionally while doing this on the work bench (or wherever). You should see flint dust coming out. You'll have it cleared in no time.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve had an Old Boy going on 4 years, never once had this issue, nor ever seen any flint residue build up. I wonder if there’s a design difference/flaw in yours causing this.

By the way Arango will do a complete service on it for only $35. Maybe best to just send it in and have it worked on.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I’ve had an Old Boy going on 4 years, never once had this issue, nor ever seen any flint residue build up. I wonder if there’s a design difference/flaw in yours causing this.

By the way Arango will do a complete service on it for only $35. Maybe best to just send it in and have it worked on.

Quality of flints matters. There some cheap flints out there that can gum things up.

• Sad
Reactions: anantaandroscoggin