PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I took out the words "for New Pipe Smokers" as I believe it pertains to all.

And, please, where available, and how much?

Officer's Club (East India Trading Company)

Tin Description:
-Officer's Club combines Virginias, Burleys, and Black Cavendish with Rum, gentle spices and creamy vanilla that will make you think of a decadent dessert. Officer's Club will be truly satisfying after a hearty evening meal.

Tobacco Type:
-Ribbon

Moisture Content:
-Elevated with saturation on the paper covering the tobacco in the tin. Did not need to dry it out though before smoking. Do not yet have a preference as to how dry I need my tobacco to be before smoking.

Aroma:
-Tin aroma smells like brown butter toffee, cloyingly sweet. Once lit, wisps of vanilla dance around the nose with a bit of chocolate undertone. Steadiness with aroma throughout the smoking session, however at a much less intensity than the tin note.

Flavors:
-Smoke tastes creamy and light, much lighter than the tin aroma. Sweetness does not seem to extend so much to taste. When in the range of sipping, notes of light cherry pop through the vanilla creaminess with rum far in the background. When smoking a bit hot, shellfish pokes through. Does not taste cheap from what I can tell, and there seems to be a decent balance between the tobacco and flavoring.

Bite:
-No bite unless smoking beyond a gentle sip or massaging the tobacco embers lightly with the breath. Retrohale is pleasant, with a gentle focus on tamping with the fingers, a cool smoke is possible throughout.

Bowl Recommendation:
-Any kind with a wide mouth and roundish-leaning bowl seems to let the flavors and volatile oils dance around a lot more. Would not recommend with a chimney pipe (personal experience, way too many relights). Surprisingly very few relights were needed to smoke the bowl with attenuation between the physical tamper and tamping with the fingers to maintain uniformity with the draw.

Room Note and Overall impact:
-Pleasant room note. Gentle buzz from the nicotine (as someone who does not have a history of smoking with nicotine). Overall a light pleasant smoke for a new pipe smoker hoping for an easier smoking session with a pipe. I would not recommend after a heavy meal as the tin suggests, unless one has an after-dinner piece of candy in mind. A heavy meal and/or strong acidic flavors in beverages would dwarf the lightness of this particular tobacco blend. Personally for me, this is a lovely smoke after a light breakfast with tea, afternoon snack or just seeking a bit of respite between other activities. Overall affect is more experiential than contemplative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Not sure how to edit a posted post? I would be grateful for guidance as I haven't yet been able to figure it out...it is not obvious to me for some reason. Happy to add the edits requested by the moderator. puffy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Not sure how to edit a posted post? I would be grateful for guidance as I haven't yet been able to figure it out...it is not obvious to me for some reason. Happy to add the edits requested by the moderator. puffy
I believe you went past the limit for edits. But add it down here!

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I took out the words "for New Pipe Smokers" as I believe it pertains to all.

And, please, where available, and how much?

Officer's Club (East India Trading Company)

Tin Description:
-Officer's Club combines Virginias, Burleys, and Black Cavendish with Rum, gentle spices and creamy vanilla that will make you think of a decadent dessert. Officer's Club will be truly satisfying after a hearty evening meal.

Tobacco Type:
-Ribbon

Moisture Content:
-Elevated with saturation on the paper covering the tobacco in the tin. Did not need to dry it out though before smoking. Do not yet have a preference as to how dry I need my tobacco to be before smoking.

Aroma:
-Tin aroma smells like brown butter toffee, cloyingly sweet. Once lit, wisps of vanilla dance around the nose with a bit of chocolate undertone. Steadiness with aroma throughout the smoking session, however at a much less intensity than the tin note.

Flavors:
-Smoke tastes creamy and light, much lighter than the tin aroma. Sweetness does not seem to extend so much to taste. When in the range of sipping, notes of light cherry pop through the vanilla creaminess with rum far in the background. When smoking a bit hot, shellfish pokes through. Does not taste cheap from what I can tell, and there seems to be a decent balance between the tobacco and flavoring.

Bite:
-No bite unless smoking beyond a gentle sip or massaging the tobacco embers lightly with the breath. Retrohale is pleasant, with a gentle focus on tamping with the fingers, a cool smoke is possible throughout.

Bowl Recommendation:
-Any kind with a wide mouth and roundish-leaning bowl seems to let the flavors and volatile oils dance around a lot more. Would not recommend with a chimney pipe (personal experience, way too many relights). Surprisingly very few relights were needed to smoke the bowl with attenuation between the physical tamper and tamping with the fingers to maintain uniformity with the draw.

Room Note and Overall impact:
-Pleasant room note. Gentle buzz from the nicotine (as someone who does not have a history of smoking with nicotine). Overall a light pleasant smoke for a new pipe smoker hoping for an easier smoking session with a pipe. I would not recommend after a heavy meal as the tin suggests, unless one has an after-dinner piece of candy in mind. A heavy meal and/or strong acidic flavors in beverages would dwarf the lightness of this particular tobacco blend. Personally for me, this is a lovely smoke after a light breakfast with tea, afternoon snack or just seeking a bit of respite between other activities. Overall affect is more experiential than contemplative.
Edit: Purchased from Pipes and Cigars dot com

Edit: Cost: $13.49 for a 1.75oz tin