Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
On a whim, I went to eBay, (which is always a mistake), and ordered myself a Falcon Stainless Dental Steel straight pipe frame. I'll select the bowls later, but wanted to snag the frame first.

Reason? Well, I'm a flyfisherman and usually smoke cigars while out on trips. However, there is an afternoon lull in the action, and I usually go to shore (I fish alone in a small 7'8" Zodiac), fry up a fish or two, and relax for a couple of hours with my fishing buddies before the evening bite, which is usually frantic with fish. (We live in trout paradise up here in PG) it is not unusual to hookup on 50-60 trout per day up to three pounds, of which we are allowed to take home five. You're arms can actually get tired from casting :ROFLMAO:

I read an article on Falcons, and thought that this might be the answer to a travel pipe. Especially the stainless steel aspect which would simplify cleaning in the field. I'll simply pack a couple of interchangeable bowls along, and clean them up at home during the drive back, in which I'll puff on a cigar or two. Pipes and trucks on rough roads don't mix, at least imho.

Anybody with experience with this system? I'd certainly appreciate your comments.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have never seen a steel Falcon, only aluminum. Do you have pics?
no but vendors have them and you can simple look on ebay under Falcon pipes. Mine wont be arriving for a few weeks. Snail mail is slow.

I avoided buying an aluminum one for some time because I don't need any more of that stuff in my brain cray

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
no but vendors have them and you can simple look on ebay under Falcon pipes. Mine wont be arriving for a few weeks. Snail mail is slow.

I just searched for steel Falcons and saw none in current or completed auctions. Perhaps, the seller described your pipe incorrectly? I own several Falcons and often look for others, and have yet to see one made of steel. If they exist, I would love to own one.

Reactions: grimpeur

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Hmmmm . . . . looks like only the frame is SS. The bowl and stem is aluminum. Whoops.😨

The best laid plans of mice and men . . . . . .

Oh well . . . . it is only for occasional use.
They are entirely wrong. Falcons are, and always have been aluminum (aluminium if you prefer) with briar bowls. Within the last several years, retailers, generally this side of the pond, have been saying the frames are chromed: they aren't. I guess it's a short leap from chrome to stainless.

Regardless, I hope the Falcon gives you even half the pleasure and service they've given me. They, and cobs, are wonderful choices for roughstuff work.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
They are entirely wrong. Falcons are, and always have been aluminum (aluminium if you prefer) with briar bowls. Within the last several years, retailers, generally this side of the pond, have been saying the frames are chromed: they aren't. I guess it's a short leap from chrome to stainless.

Regardless, I hope the Falcon gives you even half the pleasure and service they've given me. They, and cobs, are wonderful choices for roughstuff work.
Yup. T'was this side of the pond, t'was, t'was. That being said later this night I ordered two bowls whose shape and size suited my tastes and purpose. I would like to add another two bowls, next month (which is coming up next week lol) and would like to know if you've tried or used the Meerschaum bowls. Thanks. :)

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Yup. T'was this side of the pond, t'was, t'was. That being said later this night I ordered two bowls whose shape and size suited my tastes and purpose. I would like to add another two bowls, next month (which is coming up next week lol) and would like to know if you've tried or used the Meerschaum bowls. Thanks. :)
I haven't. It seems like putting on airs; a practice strongly discouraged in my circles.

Actually, it's not impossible that I might break down and get one before year's end, just to see what all the hullabaloo is about. When I do order, it will only be from www.mysmokingshop.co.uk , they always have a good selection of bowls, briar and meerschaum, and service to Canada has always been good.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
When I travel, I take only one pipe with me, a Falcon with a meerschaum lined bowl. I figure that the meerschaum can take multiple bowls in a row. So far, so good.

I do find that the Falcon smokes wet. I think the metal encourages condensation, especially when cold. I always use Falcon rings to soak up the condensate. I save money by making the rings myself from pipe cleaners. Just wrap a cleaner around a pencil and you'll get a ring with the proper diameter.

Last edited:

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I feel like I need to own one of these some day.

I don't understand the ones with dental bits though. Are they for dentures?
Apparently dental grade SS is better than regular SS. Don't know why. But if's only alleged SS then it's just more BS to wade through. I bought the stem for travel and fishing day trips . . . it's pretty much a moot point anyways.😐

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Apparently dental grade SS is better than regular SS. Don't know why. But if's only alleged SS then it's just more BS to wade through. I bought the stem for travel and fishing day trips . . . it's pretty much a moot point anyways.😐
Ohhh I thought it was referring to the bit, not the metal 🤔

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
New one on me! My Lab's got two good, but failing eyes, and hope he doesn't lose one.
I never heard that one either. I do own a Dodge, and I have never had a one-eyed dog or falcon pipe. I can’t see myself with a Falcon and I hope my dog never loses an eye, too.

My grandfather’s grandmother, however, had a dog with one eye, a horse with one eye and she had one eye. Upon hearing this story a couple years ago while sitting underneath a pine tree in the summer my grandmother, who has been married to him for I don’t know how many years, was in shock and asked, “How did that happen?” To which he replied, “Don’t ask me because I don’t know.” I guess you can be married to someone for 50+ years and still not know everything about your partner and be surprised.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I never heard that one either. I do own a Dodge, and I have never had a one-eyed dog or falcon pipe. I can’t see myself with a Falcon and I hope my dog never loses an eye, too.

My grandfather’s grandmother, however, had a dog with one eye, a horse with one eye and she had one eye. Upon hearing this story a couple years ago while sitting underneath a pine tree in the summer my grandmother, who has been married to him for I don’t know how many years, was in shock and asked, “How did that happen?” To which he replied, “Don’t ask me because I don’t know.” I guess you can be married to someone for 50+ years and still not know everything about your partner and be surprised.
My schitzuh Ricoh is now 20 years old, has been totally blind and deaf for 4 years, and still likes to eat, dump and wander around in circles. Really. Can't put him down because he still loves life and it's now very limited peripheries. He is totally disobedient, fakes toiletries so he can eat, and lives to frustrate me. Schitzuhs, Shih-tsus, (or however you spell it) are the only one of the top ten disobedient dogs who ALL disobey 85% of first commands, and the only one of the ten that is above average in intelligence. They simply have a permanently erect middle finger.

I had a 1980 Taurus wagon, now drive a 2003 5 speed Ford F150 pickup, and have just purchased a Falcon pipe stem and two briar bowls. Not here yet.

I think I'm a pretty good mimic of that old saying, eh? Not the real deal, but close enough for jazz. :ROFLMAO: