PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
I have been using some odd non traditional colors, they seem to be liked as someone always snatches them up withing minutes of posting, what do you think of non traditional colors. I am still using leather dyes and wax so nothing like painting them.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I like colored stems. Not too over the top for me but I want the the pipe to unmistakably be identitified as made of briar. Your purple one shows the grain great but for my taste it looks too much like a composite material plastic. But it is great looking!
I guess colorful stems which are mostly man made anyway, but neutral or slightly colorful wood. Just my taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These are tastefully done, in traditional shapes, so the unusual colors come across very well. I don't know how the chemistry of various random dyes might affect the flavor or hazards of a pipe, but I assume mostly they wouldn't, being applied to the outside of the bowl/shank. Now that you mention it, I consider myself open minded about colorful pipes. I do have two green stained pipes, and quite a few stems with at least some color, one in orange with swirls. But I have to admit, when I have run my eye over the whole collection on the racks, I am impressed with how much my pipes tend toward dark and neutral tones, a few orange and red tones, but a lot of black, dark brown, and neutrals with patina. So despite my fancying myself adventurous, I tend toward very traditional colors. One of my favorite carvers does some pipes with colored swirls on the briar, so I might consider one of those, just to expand my range in an intentional way.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If people are enjoying them and buying them, press on! Like any product, no matter how popular, they won't appeal to everyone. I myself tend more toward traditional shapes, and with that, traditional finishes. In fact, the more natural-looking, the better. I still enjoy looking at the non-traditional stuff; just because an abstract piece piques your interest at the museum, doesn't mean it will necessarily look good above your mantel.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
I am using Fiebings Alcohol based leather dye the same as most pipe makers, I tend to prefer the dark brown after a good black staining to get the grain to pop, it just looks classy to me like a piece of fine furniture. As always I appreciate everyones input and I am not surprised that most of us agree on the natural and most commonly used colors.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Personally, I love the pipes!! I love the colors and the purpleish one certainly caught my attention in a very good way.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
It looks like most of pipe smokers are very conservative: just corncobs, just Dunhill, just traditional shapes colors and so on.

I appreciate novelties and new things need experimentations. About colors my interest is now in safe dyes. Even if I don't believe that external treatments can affect too much the smoker's health ( what about tobacco?), I want to try and use natural products for my next pipes. On the other hand there are lot of poisons also in nature.

So welcome to your new colors and congratulations for the finishing of you briar.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Taste is a very personal and varying thing...what one person strongly dislikes another may hold in high regard. I like the shades used on the pipes you posted pics of...the grain on the first one is killer! :puffy:

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
I have used coffee grounds to stain pipes a couple of times, beautiful color but time consuming as the bowl has to dry for several days after being covered in damp grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.