Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
I'm a happy little Aussie today, the Mrs and I have booked a couple weeks holiday in New York with a possible trip into Canada as well.

What is the pipe smoking scene like up there? Any things I should not miss seeing?

Would love to hear any advice on tourist traps or scams or just general things to avoid. Definately want to check out the jazz and live music scene and try and get a taste of NYC. Anybody know much about Montreal or Ottawa?

Sorry about the 20 questions but I've never been to NY although I have been to the USA before.
Any tips appreciated, I'll be there from May 12.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Flori's Restaurant & Cigar Bar in Little Italy is the home to the NYC Pipe Club. They have a wonderful lounge upstairs. $10 for the lounge use if you don't buy a cigar downstairs. Very ecclectic NYC inside the lounge. Easy to reach by B or C train:

http://www.florios.com/
If you are driving to NYC and head up the NY Thruway towards Albany you can stop at:

- Kaywoodie Factory (Peekskill area)

- PipesandCigars.com (Habana Cigar Shop & Lounge) - Albany

- Park Lane Tobacconist (few miles North of Albany)

- Cup'o Joes (10 miles North of Albany)
Have a blast!

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Have fun, I am sure the pipe smoking scene will be fantastic compared to the non existance we have in Australia!

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I second Al's list of tobaconnists to hit..... all are on the way to Montreal. Habana Premium (pipesandcigars.com B&M) has by far the best lounge in the area, in fact I think it is one of the best and largest I have seen on the entire East Coast.
- Habana Cigars = 3 hrs north of NYC

- Parklane = 3.5 hrs north of NYC

- Cup o' Joes = 4 hrs north of NYC
Montreal would be roughly 3 hrs north of Cup O' Joe's (Queensbury, NY)
Have fun and if you stop by Habana Cigars PM me and maybe we can meet up!!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Its been a while for me but for live music get to Greenwich Village- southern Manhaten. The joints in mid-town are tourist traps. The real history of NYC is in the souhtern parts of the island that were first settled by the Dutch. Then uptown to Central Park. Cool zoo and the Dakota Building where John Lennon lived. There are a lot ot tour companies and you can see a lot on one of the cruises that circle the island.

Enjoy your visit and report on your impressions.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A couple of other big guys:

Barclay Rex: http://www.barclayrex.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=419&pg=1
Davidoff: http://www.davidoffmadison.com/
Both probably crazy expensive, but worth a trip for window shopping.

roguefox

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
OK so I just came back from NYC on Sunday, stayed there for a week.. love the place! I went to Nat Sherman and Barclay Wrex.. all I could say was... how. Nat Sherman's reminds me of Mad Men and the Godfather.. definately an old boys club, an old WEALTHY boys club. Not really the scene for a college student like myself, but I wished it was.. those guys were havin a good time. :worship: Great selection of very expensive pipes and tins from what I could see. They also had some house blends, but I was put off from the lack of attention.
Barclay Rex was a strange place, again people didn't look at me. They were also having a sale on winter hats, which I found kind of strange and amusing at the same time. This place was corner store sized, but looked like it had a fair amount of pipes.. everything was behind glass and since I have a budget for estates I didn't even bother. Same attitude as Nat Sherman's, although no massive party :(
Also, went to De La Concha. This place was my favorite, the cheapest pipe there was a 70 dollar Savinelli I had to tear myself away from.. got talked up here, one of the employees had actually been a Savinelli rep for decades.. 8O This place was definately accesible, and similar to Nat Shermans in the atmosphere.
Hope I didn't ramble too much, I had been hoping to stumble upon a forgotten pipe ship somewhere in the lower east side with estate pipes galore.. but that didn't happen. I highly recommend visiting any of these three places though.. especially Nat Shermans! Just look classy when you walk in there.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Never been there, but from what I hear, no trip to NYC is complete without sampling:
  • a real New York pizza

Nathan's hot dogs

an egg cream (kind of a milk shake drink)
I know, my focus is narrow...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was in NYC last week, for the NYC Pipe club. I grabbed a couple of slices of pizza, walked over to Bryant Park (NYC Library) and enjoyed eating pizza and smoking my Tinsky before the pipe club meeting. Lots of police, but no hassles about smoking in the park.
I also stopped by Barclay Rex and was treated similarly. I'll have to check out De La Concha on the next visit.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
All of NYC is a tourist trap. If the tourist traps dont get you the muggers will.

and watch out for this guy hes got some screws missing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHhJdjKEBsM&feature=related

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd go see Rev Billy if he came to my town, I hate shopping!
The area near Florio's (Spring Street, Grand & Mulberry Streets) has some great restaurants/pubs. I guess that is a mix of Little Italy & Soho?

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
- Habana Cigars = 3 hrs north of NYC

- Parklane = 3.5 hrs north of NYC

- Cup o' Joes = 4 hrs north of NYC

I forget how lucky I am to live in upstate NY sometimes... so many great shops. Sadly with tobacco taxes in NY sky high, I can't afford to do all my shopping locally... I think we are at 53% tax rate on tobacco now.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Yeah what's the go with these NY pizzas? No toppings just cheeese and sauce? Sounds boring.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
haha the Rev Billy is pretty funny. He's absolutely right about purchasing be a way to fill a void at a soul level.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Well I have just spent a hectic but enjoyable week in this amazing city. I love it.

Im posting this while sitting in Nat Shermans store on 42nd. Just bought my first Peterson, a beautiful kinsale

And Im breaking it in with my first ever tin of Sherlock holmes.
The house blends here are also easy to smoke so I have stocked up on those as well.

Life could be much worse.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
try TripAdvisor.com

you can choose restaurant/hotel/things todo by type, style, price, neighborhood.
I'm going in to the city Monday to visit 1 WTC.
I live 2 hrs away and go in monthly mainly to people watch.
+1 on the NY Library... Times Square at night....

Status
Not open for further replies.