PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
In my modest collection of 10 pipes so far, from Peterson to Yello Bole every one has a number printed on them. Question, What do the unique numbers for each pipe mean? Thanks Mates.
Forrest

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well, Forrest....I think each company's numbers have unique meanings and these meaning may change over the course of time. You could probably make it your life's work to catalogue the whole business.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I have noticed that certain pipes have differnt numbers to code shape and size. Like a Peterson 303 is that brands certain shape and size where a Savinelli might be a 234 for the identical. I hope I made that clear as mud for ya

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Numbers can mean just about anything, but they can be broadly put in to 4 categories.

Bowl Shape, Year of Manufacture, Quality (grade of briar) and Patent number. Some makers use all of these (Dunhill being a classic example), some have a couple only and others have none at all.

Each manufacturer 'generally' sticks to the same formula. To make things a little more complicated some manufacturers even add letters to the numbers, but these 'generally' refer to the size of the bowl.

It'll take a fair bit of reading, but if you want to look up what your pipe numbers mean, I would recommend looking your pipes up on Pipedia. If it is a recognised manufacturer it should be in there. Use the search box on the left.

Either that or post them here and between the members we should be able to tell you.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Here's a description and charts of the shapes that Savinelli currently sells and their corresponding numbers. Click on the "NEXT" link at the bottom of the page to get to the charts:
http://www.savinelliusa.com/shapes.htm

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What, is this the ersatz "pick on Cortez thread"?

I don't know anything about Freemasonry ...or pay-as-you-go masonry for that matter.

Everyone here knows I used to be a Moron, but recently converted to Presbyterianism.
As for the numbers on pipes, the single digit numbers are for bowl size if on the left of the shank, an quality grade if on the right side. Numbers on the bottom of the shank are manufacturer's quality control numbers identifying which employee produced the pipe.
Well, maybe not. But that's the way I'd have it if I were king of the United States.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I was aspiring to be like you

You should set your sights a little higher, Kev. Otherwise you'll end up a grouchy old stem-chewer with nothin' better to do all day than putz around online, or cellar tobacco in quantities that you'll never live long enough to consume.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I can't comment on other makers but this is how it works for Peterson.

Let's take an XL 305 S for example' The XL stands for Extra Large. The 305 is the bowl shape and the S denotes a saddle stem as in this example.

OldStyle305Sandblast.jpg

This example will have no S stamped on it because it has a tapered stem. The XL and 90 have the same meaning with the 90 being the bowl shape this time.

GreenRoyalIrishXL90.jpg

Other manufacturers may use a star system, another numbering system or use a specific name or finish to denote grade quality and/or shape. There are a plethora of systems in use because everyone wants something that is specifically theirs to bring customers back to their brand.
I hope this hasn't clouded things up for you.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Otherwise you'll end up a grouchy old stem-chewer with nothin' better to do all day than putz around online, or cellar tobacco in quantities that you'll never live long enough to consume.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Here's an example of numbering on pipes. This is a few years old but you will get the idea. Dunhill is the king of nomenclature on pipes. I'm sure you will want to memorize this...
d4.jpg

d3.jpg

d2.jpg

d1.jpg

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for the kind words. Actually, there is more I don't know than what I do know. I think it pays, in more ways than one, to know something about this subject. Having this chart paid off a couple of years ago when my wife dragged me along while she was antiqueing. I was bored to death looking at all the krap in this resale shop when all of a sudden I spotted a box of pipes. They were all junk except at the bottom of the box there was a gorgeous Dunhill ODA Root Briar, billard and only smoked a coupe of times. I couldn't tell exactly when it was made from the marking but knew it was an old one. Not to alert the seller that he had something special I simply asked what he would take for the whole box and I bought it for peanuts. Got home, studied that chart and looked at my old Dunhill catalogs and determined it was made in 1939. I had hit the jackpot.. I sold it to a Dunhill collector for "big bucks".
"Knowledge is priceless, ignorance is free"
That fact that you are on this site shows you're looking for knowledge. Good man!

Status
Not open for further replies.