Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I am going to have to say that there is a large, very large difference between administration and control......

The former being the way or the Tao.
SC

Mar 1, 2014
As an official member of the Grammar Police (a sort of online Spanish Inquisition www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE), I have to say, this policy has got to be one of the best things about the forum.
Bravo to the administration for being so bold as to require proper use of the English language.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First of all, it's in the self-interest of the writer to have him/herself understood. This isn't to please some

nagging English teacher of the past or one of your parents. This is quite selfish, to make yourself understood

as nearly as possible, for which correct grammar and punctuation are your honed tools of craft. I say this having

juggled, for example, to, two, and too, sometimes in the wrong place and occasionally it's and its (possessive).

Or just zoned out and done typos with the wrong word in the wrong place, or called a Canadian pipe a billiard,

etc. But exerting some effort, I generally do better.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Most smartphones and tablets automatically start sentences with a capitol letter and spell check you.
No excuses.
Are you 12?
You went to school and studied English for a reason; to be taken seriously. Use it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The new software on my Android Samsung S-something(with fold out keyboard) does some very wonky things with spelling, particularly on the various forum replies. I correct, it changes back. Sometimes, I just give up and hit "send". Which is also why I don't often reply using my phone.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On an iPad you can switch off the auto correcting. A good thing as the programmers appear to have been illiterate. Perhaps you can do the same with a smartphone. Smartphone...the very idea is too stupid to be smart.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It is infuriating. I asked Verizon to fix or change it back, they said no problem. They then went into all of the areas I'd already checked. Finally they said, "we can't change that". (they also took out my ability to invite others to an Outlook meeting - !@#!@#!@#). I rarely respond from my phone for this very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.