Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Giff

Lurker
Mar 10, 2023
I'm a new pipe smoker, and Ive tried several different tobaccos and I am really not tasting the tobacco
flavors. Everything tastes the same so far. Am I smoking too fast? Is the pipe not "broke in" yet. (I've only smoked 4 bowls each from 2 pipes, a cheap briar and a corn cob.) I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I guess the only stupid question is one you don't ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Giff

Lurker
Mar 10, 2023
I've tried Lane 1-Q, Sutliff Black Cherry, Sutliff Island Rum, Stokkebye Peaches and cream. Dried them for about an hour.

Reactions: sablebrush52

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I get better flavor from crunchy dry tobacco. I guarantee an hour with those blends are still pretty wet. Also, it does sound like you may be smoking too fast.

How I put it, is smoke like you are trying to hide it from someone. The first time I really understood what slow smoking was, was in our new leased vehicle. Got out, lit my pipe, plans changed, got back in, and tried not to make it obvious for the wife. (we smoked cigs in it, but this was my first pipe in the car). Small wisps of smoke, barely noticeable. But the best flavor I've ever had. It was a blend I've smoked for years, and that was the first time I actually "tasted" it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Some good advice I received here was maybe give a little English a try to discern and sort out flavors. It took me a while to sort out aro flavors and still in progress. Strangely perhaps, I had more of an “aha” moment with working out Virginias, including some with a bit of Perique.

LOL, I’m sipping a vanilla heavy aro right now and just about to dump it, flavors coming though loud and clear and not a pretty mix!

Reactions: SBC

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
One thing that may be a factor, if you're new to the pipe and just starting out, it may take a bit before your tongue and taste buds adjust to this new medium of tobacco enjoyment. Your taste buds literally need time to adjust. Also, aromatics are a genre that really benefit from slow smoking and proper technique. I would suggest drying your tobacco a bit more, smoking a bit more slowly and maybe trying some other types of tobaccos other than aromatics. Take it slow, be patient and it will come. There is a learning curve for everyone just starting out.

Reactions: SBC

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Someone here wisely said, “the more you smoke the better it will taste.”

It will not be near to the intensity of the tin aroma. So lower that expectation. Don’t look for the flavors. Puff gently. It’s more of a total surround.

Smoke coming from the bowl, the smoke coming through the stem, the smoke from your mouth and nose all combine to provide an overall, relaxing experience.

One day, if you’ll just stop trying, you’ll have that moment.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
  1. Smoke almost never tastes like it smells. Have no expectations of what smoke might taste like -- you'll be informed what it tastes like by actually smoking, and it won't be what you thought.

2. Smoke is a different kind of thing for your tongue and brain to process. Just do it for now, "getting it" will happen inevitably.

3. Just as all whiskey tastes like whiskey to one who hasn't had much whiskey, so all tobacco tastes like tobacco to one who hasn't had much tobacco. It's in broad comparison (over time) that differences begin to emerge, and only then do you begin to really taste the tobacco. So juxtapose very different kinds of tobacco, day after day.

4. "English" / Latakia mixtures offer flavor to the palate most easily, without careful technique. Aromatics, Virginias, etc. will open up to you with more experience.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
For me, try non-aromatics. Try some strong English, and then, try some strongs burley/Kentucky, VA/VaPers. You will definitely notice a difference in taste.

Reactions: FLDRD

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
You could also be learning that aromatics don't match the smell, so there can be a certain disappointment which colors the whole experience--I remember that well. I think the bottom line is it takes time to develop your palate, cadence, rhythm, etc. No one goes from squatting 135 to 405 overnight. But as a newbie myself, I will leave you with this: I often taste and "experience" figs, dried fruits, sugar, bread, pancakes, strawberry preserves, heavy whipping cream, etc... All from non aromatics. However, it took a while to get there...

LouisPiper

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
As a beginner too at first nothing tasted nuanced (or stayed lit) then it went to having two types of tobacco those I like and those I didn't and now after about 8 months I'm getting the nuance to various blends.

Gravity filling was the major breakthrough for me in getting more out of the tobacco.

Reactions: SBC and Coreios

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
For a newbie it is hard to explain how slow to smoke because you have literally packed the pipe too tightly. There is very slight chance you may have a caught a very mild cause of Covid which can mess up your taste buds.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
You have been given a lot of good advice here. I am in the camp that you are smoking the blend too hot. Lane 1Q has, to my tastes, a very light flavor that can get obliterated when you smoke it too hot. Small sips with a low number of sips per minuet will be best.

Being new to pipe smoking is a challenge. Take it one pipeful at a time. If you stick with it you will learn and get to enjoy flavors that you can not even imagine right now.