PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Title edited for cap and brevity. Welcome back! What drove you away and what brought you back?
-JPM

Looks like my last posting was 2016....

Still got my 1938 Kaywoodie, and I think I actually ended up with a Brylon pipe or two.

I partook of the 85 year old Revelation, and Ed James (who no longer may be around) rebuilt many of my pipes.

Currently sitting on Virgin tins of: 2014 Balkan Sobranie, 2013 Black Frigate, 2011 Escudo, and a bunch of Saseini and Crown Achievement.

And 10 year old dried out White Knight smokes just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Sadly, he passed several years ago. He is missed by those who knew him.

Welcome back. ((Just don't mention the water flush. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.) 😛
Ed was a good man. I have 3 Grabows I got from him, including a CDL. May smoke one in his honor.

I recall something about a water flush.

Or maybe two memories with the same sort of name.

A guy who dropped his pipe in the toilet, and someone wondering if they could clean their pipes with water.

I think you can probably wash your pipe with water. I don't think it is the best way, but better than using vinegar.

I can rest an argument right here and now. Oriental blends left completely alone and neglected in a pouch for 8 years or so lose absolutely nothing. Or so minimal as to not be a big worry. Dry as sawdust. Cripsy. They smoke well and have the same notes and flavor.

Can you not sell tobacco on Ebay any more? Used to be you could sort of sell the can with tobacco in it, but you were not really selling tobacco. You were selling the can. Or some such twist of intent. Noticed somebody getting a Carey Magic Inch pipe on Ebay for $8.95. They paid about $7 bucks too much.

Reactions: captainsousie
Aug 1, 2012
Ed was a good man. I have 3 Grabows I got from him, including a CDL. May smoke one in his honor.

I recall something about a water flush.

Or maybe two memories with the same sort of name.

A guy who dropped his pipe in the toilet, and someone wondering if they could clean their pipes with water.

I think you can probably wash your pipe with water. I don't think it is the best way, but better than using vinegar.

I can rest an argument right here and now. Oriental blends left completely alone and neglected in a pouch for 8 years or so lose absolutely nothing. Or so minimal as to not be a big worry. Dry as sawdust. Cripsy. They smoke well and have the same notes and flavor.

Can you not sell tobacco on Ebay any more? Used to be you could sort of sell the can with tobacco in it, but you were not really selling tobacco. You were selling the can. Or some such twist of intent. Noticed somebody getting a Carey Magic Inch pipe on Ebay for $8.95. They paid about $7 bucks too much.
eBay caved. No more "collectible" tins. Also good examples of Grabows and Kaywoodies are going for crazy money like $50 and up. I sold an unsmoked Kaywoodie for $125. Welcome to the NWO.( Damn I'm old for doing that reference)

Reactions: portascat