Non-Lat/English Oriental Recommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’m thinking I need to start exploring some orientals, but I’m not a big fan of English or Latakia type blends.
Are there any strong Va/Dark Fired blends that also have enough Orientals to see what they’re about?
I’m looking for currently available blends, nothing from the unobtainium side of TAD.

Oh and if it matters, rustica doesn’t play well with my chemistry (which is a bummer, because I like strong blends).

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
C&D Riverboat Gambler-Burley, Va, Perique, and Turkish. I haven’t tried it yet but it gets four stars for strength on Smokingpipes. Looking forward to trying this one.

C&D Dreams of Kaddath has Dark Fired and Katerini, haven’t tried it but it’s in the cellar waiting on me.

Are you looking for Va and Dark Fired in the blend?

I’ve smoked a few good blends that show the Oriental but they weren’t strong.

wilblee

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2021
Texas Hill Country
Watch City has a couple you should definitely try. Simply VOriental is a very good straight up blend. Glass Slipper (a favorite of mine) is great from the git, but after a little time in a jar becomes fantastic. One you might try is English Ernie-ental. It does have Latakia, BUT Ernie does something to it. It is unlike any of my other Lat blends.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Good stuff!
I’m not only looking for blends with dark fired, but it would be nice.

Riverboat Gambler sounds good in theory, but the majority of positive reviews are from folks that like Haunted Bookshop and that leaves me out.

WCC Simply VOriental sounds pretty good, and may be where I start.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Have you used the search function on Smokingpipes? You may get more relevant help if you had questions about certain blends that peaked your interest there. Otherwise, as you've seen, we'll all jump in with our favorite blends that have a)orientals and b) no latakia. It's simple enough to plug in including orientals and dark fired, excluding latakia and rustica.

Fwiw, I found no similarities between Haunted Bookshop and Riverboat Gambler.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Have you used the search function on Smokingpipes? You may get more relevant help if you had questions about certain blends that peaked your interest there. Otherwise, as you've seen, we'll all jump in with our favorite blends that have a)orientals and b) no latakia. It's simple enough to plug in including orientals and dark fired, excluding latakia and rustica.

Fwiw, I found no similarities between Haunted Bookshop and Riverboat Gambler.
I have, thx. I appreciate the comment about not finding similarity between RG and HB.

One of the best things about being on this forum is the thousands of participants and their activity. Participating in threads such as the WAYS thread over time gives one a feel which smokers share similar tastes and preferences, and the likelihood of good, actionable intel is much higher than just selecting components or reading reviews.
The key to Internet forums is the process of figuring out whose opinions and experiences are theirs, and whose are just regurgitated internet/social media noise, then balance everything with knowing that YMMV is always at play😉
I’ve grown to know many who usually smoke blends I prefer, and also those that routinely smoke blends that I’ve found already to not be my cup o’ tea and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Just saw McConnell’s Oriental in the WAYS thread-that may be worth a try if the lat is truly low enough condimental that there’s debate whether it’s there or not..

hoipolloiglasgow

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Just saw McConnell’s Oriental in the WAYS thread-that may be worth a try if the lat is truly low enough condimental that there’s debate whether it’s there or not..
It has a very low Latakia content. Maybe 3-5% if that? The other black featured in the blend is black cavendish. It is definitely more of an oriental forward with Virginia sweetness kind of blend. I actually thought about recommending it, but refrained due to the low Latakia content. The Latakia is there just to add smokiness and punch to the Orientals.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It has a very low Latakia content. Maybe 3-5% if that? The other black featured in the blend is black cavendish. It is definitely more of an oriental forward with Virginia sweetness kind of blend. I actually thought about recommending it, but refrained due to the low Latakia content. The Latakia is there just to add smokiness and punch to the Orientals.
It’ll be on a wish list soon, thx!

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Definitely try GLP géométrie!

I'm not aware of any Va/Or/DFK blends right off, seems kind of an unexplored or maybe just not popular style. C&D has a few Va/Or/Burley/other mixes in their Hebraica series.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Low Country Waccamaw may be an option. It’s a VaPerOr. I don’t know that I could call it stout, but it definitely isn’t mild. Being a Low Country blend, it’s readily availble at smokingpipes and not particularly expensive.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If you really want to taste the Orientals sans Lat stay away from this one to me it's just a light English , Presbyterian has just a wee bit of lat in it, and the Macedonian Oriental is way up front , Sunday Picnic is another and Bjou are great lots of Orientals Not Lat at all.