PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Yeah ever since I had covid my sense of taste and smell is only about 60 perc of what it used to be. Probably why I have moved to the stronger rating blends since then. As a side note cortisone nasal sprays such as the type used for hay fever can help get your sense of smell and taste back to normal
I have some of the over-the-counter stuff and I may try that.

NJJesters10

Lurker
May 5, 2022
New Jersey
I recently started smoking with some aromatics but have noticed that I enjoy the taste of 'heavier' blends. I also have trouble tasting the lighter tobaccos so I've reduced my smoking of them until I get more familiar with the pipe.

Today I started with an aromatic (4th generation morning blend) and got more flavor than normal. I went back to the same bowl later in the day and found it was too light so I packed a bowl of C&D oriental Silk which was delicious.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Cigars have a very distinct, pronounced and easy-to-elicit flavor. Pipe tobacco is more subtle and finicky. Many pipe smokers also smoke cigars and enjoy both but it requires changing your expectations. Even assuming you choose a flavorful tobacco (Latakia, aromatic), do all the prepping of your pipe correctly and draw gently (both of which are different from the way you enjoy cigars), you still have to recalibrate your taste buds. Poor analogy, but It's like the difference between coffee and green tea.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I have never tried the blends you said you smoke, so I can't talk about them. But I have smoked certain tobaccos that were tasteless. It reminded me of when I smoked cigarettes...just smoke in my mouth. When I went back to pipes, I understood why there are cigar and pipe connoisseurs...but not cigarette! :ROFLMAO:

I would just suggest you experiment with more blends. Give St. Bruno a whirl. Or Crooner.

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I have never tried the blends you said you smoke, so I can't talk about them. But I have smoked certain tobaccos that were tasteless. It reminded me of when I smoked cigarettes...just smoke in my mouth. When I went back to pipes, I understood why there are cigar and pipe connoisseurs...but not cigarette! :ROFLMAO:

I would just suggest you experiment with more blends. Give St. Bruno a whirl. Or Crooner.
Will do. Thanks.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Everyone moves at different speed. Some might not pick up taste or flavor of pipe tobacco for awhile. Like suggested, try a blend or two with Latakia. You'll pick that up right away. It does take awhile before you can pick things up as to subtle notes.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Everyone moves at different speed. Some might not pick up taste or flavor of pipe tobacco for awhile. Like suggested, try a blend or two with Latakia. You'll pick that up right away. It does take awhile before you can pick things up as to subtle notes.
Agree completely. I might suggest GL Pease’s Westminster—that worked for me!

Reactions: dunnyboy

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
When I started nothing had much taste except blends with Latakia. The palate will adjust for the more subtle blends in time, and technique improvement will help over time.

One blend that was a revelation early on, when I couldn’t taste aromatics, that I still really enjoy is Presbyterian. Flavourful but not overwhelming.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Will try to get some of that blend and see what happens. Thks.
Trying English blends is a good idea but my advice would be to start with blends that use Latakia as a condiment.
Latakia is an acquired taste for some of us.

My first experience was a generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard from 4noggins.
The bag note was dreadful that I described as "burnt rubber, asphalt and butt" :eek:
Of course I had to try it :LOL: Let's just say that it was much better after it had been mixed 50/50 with a straight Virginia [Windsail]
One small bowl at night was nice, two bowls was one two many.

Now several years later, I still don't like 'Lat-bombs'.
Even blends that others describe as "well balanced", all I'm able to taste is Latakia.

My preference is for milder blends and would recommend these Latakia blends;
Jesses Own. [Also with a touch of Perique - very tasty]
Sutliff Sunrise [Early Morning Pipe Match]
Count Pulaski [a crossover semi-aro]
Ashtons Consummate Gentleman.
Dunhill/Peterson My Mixture BB1938.

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Trying English blends is a good idea but my advice would be to start with blends that use Latakia as a condiment.
Latakia is an acquired taste for some of us.

My first experience was a generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard from 4noggins.
The bag note was dreadful that I described as "burnt rubber, asphalt and butt" :eek:
Of course I had to try it :LOL: Let's just say that it was much better after it had been mixed 50/50 with a straight Virginia [Windsail]
One small bowl at night was nice, two bowls was one two many.

Now several years later, I still don't like 'Lat-bombs'.
Even blends that others describe as "well balanced", all I'm able to taste is Latakia.

My preference is for milder blends and would recommend these Latakia blends;
Jesses Own. [Also with a touch of Perique - very tasty]
Sutliff Sunrise [Early Morning Pipe Match]
Count Pulaski [a crossover semi-aro]
Ashtons Consummate Gentleman.
Dunhill/Peterson My Mixture BB1938.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I’m going to try some of these if I can find them. Trouble is a lot of the stores don’t carry much in the way of variety. Thanks.
All of my suggestions are different from each other. The only thing they have in common is they all have Latakia.
Variety is woeful here in Nanny State Australia and the price for tobacco is outrageous, $125 for 50g.

Fortunately I found American on-line tobacconists and have accumulated a variety of bulk blends.
Whatever country you're in, try your luck by ordering on-line [Order bulk because from my experience, tinned baccy gets intercepted by Customs more frequently than bulk and by ordering at least 1lb at a time, it's way better value for money]

Before I found the internet I knew little about different types of tobacco leaf.
www.tobaccoreviews.com was a huge help in my education.
When trying a new blend, I'd read what leaf the blend contained, then the reviews from other smokers - JimInk reviews in-particular - and I got to learn why I liked certain blends.

Now when I read what's in a blend, I've a fair idea if it's something I'd like to try or not.
The reviews themselves usually completes the picture. [Based on the reviews, I have not ordered a blend that I didn't like]

Check out www.4noggins.com They post OS and know how to play the game.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
All of my suggestions are different from each other. The only thing they have in common is they all have Latakia.
Variety is woeful here in Nanny State Australia and the price for tobacco is outrageous, $125 for 50g.

Fortunately I found American on-line tobacconists and have accumulated a variety of bulk blends.
Whatever country you're in, try your luck by ordering on-line [Order bulk because from my experience, tinned baccy gets intercepted by Customs more frequently than bulk and by ordering at least 1lb at a time, it's way better value for money]

Before I found the internet I knew little about different types of tobacco leaf.
www.tobaccoreviews.com was a huge help in my education.
When trying a new blend, I'd read what leaf the blend contained, then the reviews from other smokers - JimInk reviews in-particular - and I got to learn why I liked certain blends.

Now when I read what's in a blend, I've a fair idea if it's something I'd like to try or not.
The reviews themselves usually completes the picture. [Based on the reviews, I have not ordered a blend that I didn't like]

Check out www.4noggins.com They post OS and know how to play the game.
Very helpful information. I’ll check out the reviews and see what I can do.

Reactions: chopper

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Hmm, lots of good questions and advise here. If you can taste food and other beverages then your taste buds should be operating normally. A lot of tobacco taste comes not only from taste buds but from your sense of smell. Can you smell normal everyday smells?
If you can taste and smell most everything else, then this inability to taste tobacco is quite perplexing. What’s the strongest tobacco you smoke? Heck, go bit some C&D pirate flake or Jack knife plug . If you can’t taste the flavors in those tobaccos, then I’m really stumped.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
another two suggestions that are almost polar opposites. Write reviews. You don't have to publish them, but it literally primes your brain to pay more attention. It's a weird trick but it works. Sometimes if I find a blend blandish I'll decide to review it and suddenly pick up on things that seemed utterly intangible before. The other suggestion is to say screw it. And just smoke them without care or worry about flavor. Maybe do both. Both have worked really well for me. Either go all in or check out.

Reactions: Fralphog

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
Have you possibly been smoking too much?

I find that if I over-do my smoking, I stop tasting the tobacco as well. If I leave it and don't smoke anything for a few days, the first bowl is delicious.

Also ... are your pipes well-rested and well-cleaned? That really does make a difference.

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Hmm, lots of good questions and advise here. If you can taste food and other beverages then your taste buds should be operating normally. A lot of tobacco taste comes not only from taste buds but from your sense of smell. Can you smell normal everyday smells?
If you can taste and smell most everything else, then this inability to taste tobacco is quite perplexing. What’s the strongest tobacco you smoke? Heck, go bit some C&D pirate flake or Jack knife plug . If you can’t taste the flavors in those tobaccos, then I’m really stumped.
Sense of smell is pretty good. Am always the first to smell anything weird. Mostly mild blends is what I smoke.

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Have you possibly been smoking too much?

I find that if I over-do my smoking, I stop tasting the tobacco as well. If I leave it and don't smoke anything for a few days, the first bowl is delicious.

Also ... are your pipes well-rested and well-cleaned? That really does make a difference.
I only smoke maybe two bowls a day. Large breaks between. I clean every time I use one. They sit for maybe five days before used again. Every fourth or fifth bowl I clean with whiskey or something. Spic and Span.

Reactions: Anchovies

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Give your pipes a thorough cleaning, take a couple of days away from smoking and try again. Sometimes the senses just need a break to reset.