PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
My strongest is most certainly my John Aylesbury Latakia blend. The weakest would likely be one of my Mac Barens.

Based on my experience, limited as it is, English/Virgina blends tend to be higher in nicotine than aros. But take that with a big ol' grain of salt.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
This came up this summer in THIS THREAD. From what I read in that thread, though, it varies by person. Some blends that others say are high in Vitamin N don't do anything to me, but then some blends give me a buzz that others say are low in nicotine.
To each, his own.
-Jason

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thank you Jason (Lordnoble) for the link that jogged my memory on this topic.
Pipes2Smoke.com states that Vitginias have a higher nicotine content because they grow in nitrogen rich soil; and Orientals (this would include Latakia) have low nicotine content because they grow in nitrogen poor soils. This same source states that Burley can have a high nicotine content (augmented by high-nitrogen fertilizers); and Maryland has a low nicotine content.
The Tobacconist University website states that Perique is an air cured Burley-type plant that has a high nicotine content.
I've smoked Five Brothers and found it to be a very nicotine rich shag; but it's no match for the strength of Daughters and Ryan's Picayune, a real nicotine powerhouse.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
The shag cuts will always have the highest nicotine content as their smoke is more concentrates, two great examples are Five Brothers, a burley and SG Dark Birdseye, a VA. Perique is high as it is so processed in it's own juices so a VaPer will be very high. An English unless it is Va dominated tends to be less in "N" and most aromatics use a lesser quality of leaf from the bottom of the plant and will have even less "N". The higher up the plant the leaf it comes from, the higher the "N" content. So it really is subjective as to which blend is high and which is low.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Halfzware shag cuts ; Virginia cured in barrels and flue cured . Halfzware usually indicates a combination of dark Kentucky burley and bright Virginia tobaccos .Depends on who makes it and in what country .

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
You are right about Dark Birds Eye Strongirish. I love it but the nicotine comes shooting out of my eyeballs when I smoke that stuff. It is on a list of tobaccos that I absolutely love but can't smoke due to nicotine content. 1792 is rough at times, but I can usually get through a bowl every now and then. Esoterica's Dorchester, I fear, is about to make that list as well. Seems the older I get the more of a nicotine wimp I become. I did try to smoke straight perique once...ONCE ! ! ! Never ever again. The taste was intense but so overpowering and spicey enough to cut the tongue right out of you. The nicotine content was absurd...I smoked less than half a bowl and I had a splitting head ache, my guts were churning and I was light headed and somewhat disoriented.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Halfzware is used to make hand rolled cigarettes mostly . Peter Stokkabye Amsterdam is about as strong a tobacco as you can find . Iam not talking about the pipe cut rather the silk cuts . Like Brylcreem a little dab will do you .I took a little sip and right away I knew

As my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue

Lightnin' started flashin' and thunder started crashin'

Shhhoooh . . LMAO

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Halfzware is used to make hand rolled cigarettes mostly . Peter Stokkabye Amsterdam is about as strong a tobacco as you can find . Iam not talking about the pipe cut rather the silk cuts . Like Brylcreem a little dab will do you .I took a little sip and right away I knew

As my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue

Lightnin' started flashin' and thunder started crashin'

Shhhoooh . . LMAO

I need to buy like 5lbs of that LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.