PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Had the pleasure of a phone call from my mom about a pipe rack find in an antique shop. She sent me photos of two. One came with 5 pipes, 4 of which were Grabows in really poor condition and one of a carved bulls head that had the horns coming out, but one was broken. Had to buy it all for $55...passed.
Then she sent me a picture of this one and it was identical without the necessary purchase of some awful pipes just so they could get rid of them. I bit and for $15 I considered it a steal!
20190106_222632-600x466.jpg

It's in fantastic shape and all I have to do is clean and buff it up and she'll be ready to go!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Very nice. I got most of my pipe racks years ago @ second-hand stores which are of a similar nature. Can't remember the last time I saw 1 in a second-hand store.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks all! Yeah, I'm not too sure about year. In the little digging I've done, I've seen years ranging from the 1930's through the 1970's. Kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what year this one was made. No markings on the rack itself, but the bottom of the jar has markings that indicate it as a "Dun-Rite Wood Nov Inc" and "Dunaglas" meaning the type of glass I reckon and the producer. It also shows some lettering on the other side which I assume means it was made in Brooklyn, NY.
20190107_100210-600x535.jpg

This one has the wooden lid and a small, thin seal around the wood. I'm not too sure how old it is, but I'm not going to count on it keeping the tobacco sealed off. Besides, I think these were made to put tobacco in and smoke that pretty much exclusively, so a guy that smokes only one blend would have his blend of choice always on hand and would likely smoke it up before it dried out completely.
It does seem like it could hold a ton at one time, though. If I had to guess, I'd say if you filled it completely with a shag or ribbon cut tobacco, you could possibly put about 4 ounces inside easily, maybe more.
@scloyd...yes, yes I do! She's fantastic!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice find! And, yeah, keeping tobacco in that for any length of time ain't gonna work too well.
Dun-Rite Wood Novelties, I guess.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I can't say it ever kept the tobacco from drying out too much. From the look of the flimsy-ish seal ring, it might only deter the drying out process by just a little.
I plan to put something in it that doesn't really matter if it dries out or not, or even something that never really dries, probably something that just smells really good and I can dip into it at home when I want a good smelling aro. This Black Cavendish I have would work perfectly!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Looks like the jar was made by Owens-Illinois Glass Company between 1940-1964.

Duraglas logo

Probably more like after 1954 due to the "I" logo in a circle.

"I" logo
Hope this helps.
edit....Duraglas logo, scroll down to third page.

Aug 8, 2018
Very clean and elegant. Very nice humidor as well. The price you paid should however be reported to the local authorities...Theft Prevention Unit to be specific.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Carolina, I have 4 racks with attached humidors and have never kept tobacco in them as they definitely don't really seal well.

Status
Not open for further replies.