PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
As the fishing/hunting/golf season quickly approaches here in Vancouver, I have started to think about extended periods exposed to the elements with my pipes. Being a new pipe smoker, I don't yet have a stable of briar to choose from, nor do I trust my butterfingers with meer, so I have been smoking corn-cobs for the most part.
That said, however, I can forsee waking up, and trying to pack my tobacco into a pile of swollen mush with a stem hanging out the side...you know how it goes, by morning, everything is damp. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mtns hardwood pipes; I can purchase them for less then $10 at my local B&M, so it is feasible for me to buy enough to cover a weekend, with good long rests in between, but am somewhat hesitant. How do they smoke? How is the cake (do you even want a cake)? Any imput would be appreciated.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I have the maple I have been going at for 6 months. I have left it in some bad places exposed to the elements and it is still rock solid. I love the little bastard and have to remember to get some more.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you'll be smoking outdoors, you'll want a pipe that is not only resistant to the elements, but also resistant to wind-induced burn-out (it happened to me). Consider a Brylon pipe. They're not the best smokers, I suppose, but they're cheap and allegedly quite durable.

3188.jpg

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Also, if you're going to consider Brylon, go ahead and just buy a metal pipe. And I mean just go to the home depot, and get a metal pipe, and figure out a way to smoke from it. That'll be even more durable! And it may smoke better...

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
LOL @ Colin - actually, I already have a brylon pipe in my collection, a Medico Conqueror. It's not as terrible as one would expect, for a pipe made of plastic and sawdust, but it smokes hot to the point of ridiculous with everything I've run through it other than folded flake on the verge of going out. Sadly, the B&M that sold it to me also had it priced comparably with low-end briar, in the $30 CAD range (same shop has cobs @ $6.99 and hardwood @ $9.99).
I think I'll pick up a couple of the hardwood and play around with 'em before the season starts, if I find I don't like em, it's not like I'll be out a fortune (and hey, I'm still feeding my PAD, even if they are relegated to the display side of the rack).

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I suggest building a cake in the MM hardwood before you subject it to the elements.

I have one MM hardwood (not my favorite pipe by any stretch)... just break it in.

Might be just what you're looking for.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
Nothing wrong with hardwood pipes, and like Lawrence said, a good break in. I still prefer cobs over them though.

That being said... I now have two pear wood pipes for the wife. :)

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
This brings up something I was wondering as well. I'm an avid sailor and have been daydreaming of warmer weather and having a pipe on my boat this summer.
What is the concern about outdoor pipe smoking and concern about winds, etc.? Should extra care be taken with smoking briars in the wind? My initial concern would be losing burning tobacco from the bowl and landing on / burning sails or lines on the boat, never gave much concern for the pipe itself? Of course sailing is no fun without wind!
After discovering corncobs this weekend I'd be more than happy to use a CC on the boat (afterall that's what Popeye did), but should I avoid briars altogether when in wind? Don't know much about hardwoods or pipes of other materials, but that just represents another opportunity for more learning! :P
As always, thanks for the great insights!
Sean

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Sjolie, not that I can claim to have much experience, but it sounds to me like you should invest in a wind-cap. You can pick one up for under $3.00 through most tobacconists (B&M or online).

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
As the subject was hard wood pipes, not just cobs, I thought I would pitch in. The old French Ropp Cherrywood pipes are great smokers. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Hold out for an unsmoked or rarely smoked one. They break in fast and smoke great but don't hold up as long as briar. Most have a very rustic look with the bark still on the wood. You can usually pick them up for under $20.
Here are two from my Collection
cherrybambu.jpg

cherrynw.jpg

Olive Wood is another great pipe material that breaks in much quicker than briar. The majority are Italian.
Here are two from my Collection:

olive1.jpg

This one has a briar cap

Olive.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.