Newbie Needs Help With Inherited Pipe. Tyrolean?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyh

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
Hi all. I'm very new to pipes, and know very little. I just inherited a piece. I was hoping someone could help me get a little more information about it. It belonged to one of my wife's grandfathers.

Based on the shape and bowl cap, I think this is the "Tyrolean" or old world style, yes? I notice the bowl is lined with metal. Is this fit for smoking? I've always heard that metal bowls are not ideal. So maybe this is more of a tourist's keepsake? Also, there is a tear at the fabric section of the stem, which appears to have some sort of spring underneath. What is the purpose of the spring? Is it worth repairing? Could I do it myself?
Thanks very much for your time, and happy smoking!
Jeremy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yes, you have an oldie there. My guess is that the bowl is lined with a tin insert to protect the wooden bowl, which I suspect is carved from a fruitwood. The flexible hose you mention is so the pipe can dangle at an angle and not lean toward the smoker. They are still made, mostly for tourists, and I'll wager you can find a piece to fit it if you search the internet enough.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
It looks well used judging by the wear on the stem. I have looked into repairing this type of pipe and the European who does it was very expensive. I would keep it as a keepsake. If you find a reasonable repair shop please post same.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Jeremy!

I have a one very similar to yours, mine has a bit of carving on the bowl, although yours is obviously much older than mine. As for it being a "souvenir" that may well the true... but I love mine.

I personally believe that it is definitely worth having repaired.

They smoke very well and comfortably.

I smoke mine on a regular basis.

They are designed so you can put your elbows on a table with a stein of beer in one hand the pipe in the other.

Also, I like smoking mine in my easy chair... it rests nicely on the ol' beer muscle. :D
img00023-450x600.jpg

img00021.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site jeremyh.
Lawrence, that pipe of yours is way cool looking. How does it smoke in comparison to your regular pipes? If you get a gurgle, how do you use a pipe cleaner, do you use a churchwarden one? Does it smoke cool and dry?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I personally like my Tyrolean very much.

It smokes cool and dry, and very easy to clean.

As you can see it comes apart.... The cherry wood (shank?) section is easily cleaned with a Churchwarden pipe cleaner. I find that the shank imparts a hint of cherry wood taste, but only a little noticeable when I smoke 1Q in it.

It stay lit very well and doesn't gurgle.
img00022-450x600.jpg

jeremyh

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
Thanks everyone for your sage advice.

So, I should not remove the tin bowl-liner when smoking?

If anyone can recommend an outfit that would do the repairs, please let me know, or PM me if that would break forum guidelines.

jeremyh

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
oops! here are the photos again:
pipe (only marking is "Bruyere" on bowl):

tin bowl liner

broken stem joint

jeremyh

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
Just a quick update. I got the tyrolean back from Walker briar works, and they did a great job fixing the stem and cleaning it up. I wish I knew more about the maker, date, and origin. The only marking is a stylized "Bruyere" on the bowl, which may refer to the material or be a brand name? I remain concerned about the metal bowl lining, which isn't easily removable. I probably won't smoke out of it... well, never say never. In any case, it looks great on my pipe rack.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Could well be "Bruyere Garantie" they made some tyrolean styles. I dont recall seeing any of their pipes without the second part of the name. If it was just a stamp to denote the pipe was made of briar, I would think a much simpler stamp would have been used. Nice restoration from Walker btw !

cleidophoros

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2012
Isn't bruyere garantie stamped on no-name pipes? Pretty much the french equivalent for imported briar?

Status
Not open for further replies.