Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 3, 2024
Knoxville, TN
New to pipe smoking. I’ve been smoking maybe 3.5 weeks.

I’ve had this Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original for about 2 weeks, smoking every day with it.

I recently lost my pipe tool (with the little shovel thing for scooping out ash and doddle). But I had bought a corona lighter that comes with a built in tamper. It also on the other end has a thing to use for the screws in the bottom of the lighter to adjust the flame etc.

Well, it’s too short for the Peterson; the bowl is too deep. So it’s hard to get all the ash and doddle out.

I just noticed last night that there’s a pit at the bottom of the bowl, and I think it could have been from the corona lighter’s little tamper thing I just described.

What can I do or should I do?

Any help is appreciated. I feel like I just bought a new car and got my first dent.

Attachments

• IMG_3164.jpeg
    IMG_3164.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
A new Czech tool is less than $5, get one if that's what you are comfortable in using. Otherwise, do like so many of us do by using anything from a golf tee, twig, small pocket knife (be careful not to scratch the bowl) or anything else that strikes your fancy. When you're done smoking, run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank then wipe the inside of the bowl with a paper towel. Remember, there are no rules, just what works for you.

Jul 3, 2024
Knoxville, TN
Just dont worry about smoking every last tiny bit of tobacco. Dont cook the bowl by trying to save a few strands of tobacco. You wont burn it out. If the pipe is too hot to the touch you are smoking too hot. Put it down for five minutes or so.
Thanks! For the advice.

As for the pit, do you think carbon cake will fill it in over time? Or is that pipe mud stuff worth anything?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks! For the advice.

As for the pit, do you think carbon cake will fill it in over time? Or is that pipe mud stuff worth anything?
It won't cake over unless you make efforts to smoke to the bottom a lot, a practice not recommended. Unless it widens, nothing to worry about.

Welcome, and why not introduce yourself in the Intro thread?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Every tobacco store in America has a pipe nail that costs about a dollar and works great. You are spending too much too soon. You have to have to learn hot smoke a pipe first. Just get a Cobb or at most a Ropp pipe and a pack of stick matches to work with,

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I just noticed last night that there’s a pit at the bottom of the bowl, and I think it could have been from the corona lighter’s little tamper thing I just described.
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

I believe that to be from the drilling of the draught (air passage), as it appears to have a comet tail shape.
Regardless of the cause, the solution has already been suggested in the previous comments.
comet.jpg

Jul 3, 2024
Knoxville, TN
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

I believe that to be from the drilling of the draught (air passage), as it appears to have a comet tail shape.
Regardless of the cause, the solution has already been suggested in the previous comments.
View attachment 321614
True. I didn’t think about that. It could have been hidden when it was new because they had then pre carboned layer that looked like black sandpaper on the inside of the bowl right out of the box.

Thanks !