Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
This little guy came in the mail yesterday:

View attachment 61487
View attachment 61488
View attachment 61489
View attachment 61490
View attachment 61491
A Martin Cermak Squat Ukulele/Eskimo with custom poured SEM Stem. I’ve never owned this shape before and Martin’s work just spoke to me. Martin is super easy to work with and he is very fast; just five weeks from start to delivery. Now, what should I break it in with? Matured FVF, Wessex Gold Brick, Hal O’ The Wynd or G.L. Pease Union Square?
Break it in with rope tobacco.(just my opinion).?

Reactions: gamzultovah

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
This little guy came in the mail yesterday:

View attachment 61487
View attachment 61488
View attachment 61489
View attachment 61490
View attachment 61491
A Martin Cermak Squat Ukulele/Eskimo with custom poured SEM Stem. I’ve never owned this shape before and Martin’s work just spoke to me. Martin is super easy to work with and he is very fast; just five weeks from start to delivery. Now, what should I break it in with? Matured FVF, Wessex Gold Brick, Hal O’ The Wynd or G.L. Pease Union Square?
Beautiful pipe !

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The Tarock Briar looks to be of the hand of a fine craftsman whose aesthetic includes both the good (beautiful) and the bad (ugly).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
tobaccodays.com has pictures of many of Tarock Briar pipes, and they are a wonder. They almost seem to echo known forms, but not really, especially given their finishes. The maker says that while he spends 10-14 hours shaping a pipe, he spends a week finishing it.

Fascinating!

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
The Tarock Briar looks to be of the hand of a fine craftsman whose aesthetic includes both the good (beautiful) and the bad (ugly).
C. Wolfsteiner was not a pipe maker, he was a pipe designer ? and a musician. He was always trying out new artistic shapes whose surfaces he altered with paint and chemicals to make them look 'organic'. His motto was 'sandpaper is an asshole'. Sadly he died in 2016 at the age of 54.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I looked at a number of his pipes, and most share scalloped segments, deep valleys between ridges that put me to mind of a crustacean, but not really, as Ive never seen real objects with this shape.

What stands out are the colors in his finish, extremely odd, somehow complimenting this or that segment or the overall shape.

Well worth your time, I think: tobaccodays.com.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
tobaccodays.com has pictures of many of Tarock Briar pipes, and they are a wonder. They almost seem to echo known forms, but not really, especially given their finishes. The maker says that while he spends 10-14 hours shaping a pipe, he spends a week finishing it.

Fascinating!
Christian was both talented and highly eccentric. I’d like to own more of his work, but they don’t come on the aftermarket often.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I looked at a number of his pipes, and most share scalloped segments, deep valleys between ridges that put me to mind of a crustacean, but not really, as Ive never seen real objects with this shape.

What stands out are the colors in his finish, extremely odd, somehow complimenting this or that segment or the overall shape.

Well worth your time, I think: tobaccodays.com.
The pipe I own was made as an homage to his good friend, Roger Wallenstein. Wallenstein referred to himself as the student and to Wolfsteiner as the master...imagine that? One of the reasons I love this pipe is for the provenance; knowing the backstory makes it special. Hopefully one day after all this COVID nonsense is behind us, I will be able to return it to its rightful owner.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
C. Wolfsteiner was not a pipe maker, he was a pipe designer ? and a musician. He was always trying out new artistic shapes whose surfaces he altered with paint and chemicals to make them look 'organic'. His motto was 'sandpaper is an asshole'. Sadly he died in 2016 at the age of 54.
Very nice to see another with such extensive knowledge of Mr. Wolfsteiner. Most people I’ve met in the hobby have no knowledge of him.

Reactions: Kottan

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
The pipe I own was made as an homage to his good friend, Roger Wallenstein. Wallenstein referred to himself as the student and to Wolfsteiner as the master...imagine that? One of the reasons I love this pipe is for the provenance; knowing the backstory makes it special. Hopefully one day after all this COVID nonsense is behind us, I will be able to return it to its rightful owner.
Did I understand you correctly, you want to give your 'Wolfsteiner' to Roger Wallenstein?

Another German avangardist similar to those mentioned above is Uwe Maier. His pipes are also hard to get. He also only makes about 30 a year.