Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
If you've not had much experience with pipes, I recommend going to a good B&M tobacco store and checking out pipes first-hand. Ordering via the internet can be chancy, especially before you find our what you really like. For me, a pipe is a personal thing, and getting to touch and feel one before you buy can make all the difference between a pipe you love and one you happened to get. A good, knowledgeable tobacconist can explain some of the nuance differences in various pipes. That's not to say you cannot get a good pipe over the 'net, but you have a better chance of finding "that pipe" in person.
When it comes to tobacco, try as many different ones as you can. Recognize there are some good (not great, but good) "drug store" tobaccos. Carter Hall is one of them: a decent Burley, that you can smoke all day long. Then there are the Cavendishes, the Virginias, and the blends. At the top of the tobacco chain are the blends made by the master blenders, which are what you will see most pipe smokers (especially on this forum) recommend, and which are, indeed, very wonderful smokes. Key to satisfaction is finding what YOU like. Might want to check out Tobacco Reviews to see what others have to say about any blend you might consider.
Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of piping.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Solid advice from several people here.
I recommend the best quality you can afford. I'm the type of person who wants to try everything and then decide what I like best. I've found its cheaper just to start out with the best. Two high quality pipes and 4 or 5 good tobaccos will cost the same as half a dozen factory pipes and a dozen 2 ounce samples.
Definitely agree with that one. I personally think Savinelli or Peterson are good solid pipe in a variety of shapes in a decent price range. Not one I have in either brand is a bad smoker.
How you pack your pipe and how you smoke it may be even more important than the pipe or tobacco you choose.
Even more so. As you said, it's an art or at least a skill, you get better at with time. Your taste in tobacco's will evolve as soon as you get to figure out what you like. Burleys, Virginias, Latakia, Orientals, Turkish, Cavendish, Stoved, Aromatic or not, etc, etc, etc.... they all have more or less appeal to some smokers more than others. So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. After all, this is supposed to be relaxing and fun, not an ordeal :puffpipe:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you join us.
I'm not sure if buying the most expensive pipe you can afford is the best idea. For me it's not about the cost of the pipe as it is about how it feels in the hand, how it feels in the mouth, how well it draws/smokes and how durable its going to be. You can find some really good pipes at a minimal cost, and you can find some great buys on ebay as well too. I'm a big fan of Savinelli pipes. You can find some good pipes at a great price point and meet the criteria I pointed out above. As for tobacco's I suggest just trying a variety of blends until you find some that you'll want to put in your rotation. Good luck with the purchases.

claywyatt

Lurker
Jun 23, 2012
There is an old tobacco shop here in San Marcos, Tx. A guy named Rob used to own it and place was pretty trashed out. Bags and Bags of aromatics lying around. Unopened boxes of cigars all over the place. Old guitars and bicycles all over the shop. It just wasn't your typical inviting cigar and pipe shop. I used to go in there and buy stokers chewing tobacco and the occasional cigar. About 6 months ago, I heard that Rob passed away and that the place was closing it's doors. I decided to drive by today just to see if by chance it was still open. When I drove up, the open sign was on so I decided to go in and check out. The place was cleaned up and looked great! Everything was in its place and they had a great selection! They had about 20 different tins, 30-40 different aromatics in bulk, and lots of pipes. Pipes ranged from $5-$500. I didn't have the time to spend looking at everything, but I did buy a tin of Dunhill Flake. I can't wait to try out. I'm so glad I decided to go by this place!
Clay

claywyatt

Lurker
Jun 23, 2012
Also, Just got some Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River and Hearth & Home Larry's Blend in. Can't wait to try them...

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Clay.. do you have a name or address ? I'm in Austin quite a lot.. might be worth a little drive down there one day if I can get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.