New to pipe smoking, just joined the forum!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Welcome to the forums. Keep trying new pipes and tobaccos until you settle on what you like.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Welcome to the forum.

Savinelli pipes are great pipes, especially for the price and the Autograph line is a good choice. As for tobacco's to try; there are a tone of great tobacco's out there so sample sample sample. You'll find ones that you really enjoy and others you won't. Don't be discouraged and eventually you'll find a nice selection of blends you'll enjoy. Personally, I like McClelland blends, especially the Frog Morton line of tobacco.

Good luck with your new adventure into pipe smoking.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome Anthony. Lots of great folk and advice on here. The support you can receive is awesome.
As for one pipe - LOOL! :rofl: My bet is you'll have at least 8 within 3 months and will be addicted to scanning ebay and this forum for new additions. The money you don't spend on pipes you'll spend on tobaccos you just HAVE to try. Your tastes will change weekly and you'll discover a world that makes Jumangi look like a day trip! And you'll LOVE every minute. Welcome to the ride!
Andy

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Andy, way to describe it and tell it EXACTLY like it is! Don't scare the poor guy off before he's blown his bank account and ran up his credit card on pipes and tobacco, it's supposed to be a "live and learn" experience! :rofl:

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Welcome aboard, glad to have you Anthony! As a relatively new guy here, I can tell you, these folks have it together, tons of great info and great people. As for tobaccos, there a great wide world out there...Personally, I cannot be without Lane MV-1000 and Russ's Snow Drift, and I keep a few others on hand. I go to Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold, Peter Stokkebye's 24 Nougat and 38 Highland Whiskey quite often, and I rotate Dunhill EMP/965/Nightcap almost weekly. Its all a taste thing, and the reviews here can help a lot with 'where do I go next?" issues.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
As far as a recommended tobacco I started with Iwan Ries a long time ago (now an online as well as B&M company that has been around for many decades) Three Star Blue which I still think is a good starter tobacco, although I would probably recommend their Three Star Banner Light now. The trouble is there are SO MANY BLENDS out there. 1+ for keeping the pipes clean. You will fall into your own pace for how often, how extensively. There a many good YouTube videos on cleaning a pipe but at least for the first cleaning, do it well enough to bring a pipe cleaner out cleanly. But most of all, enjoy!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Imaging that Sav Autograph as a noob starter pipe is like buying a Mercedes E-Class and leaving the lot to go off-roading! Lol.
Don't fluff off the recommendations to get a few MM cobs to hone your packing and smoking skills as well as to get an honest experience from whatever tobacco you load it with. I rarely smoke by briars beyond my property line and smoke cobs quite a bit.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Welcome aboard dude!
My tobacco tip: find a blends that's your favorite. That's step 1. For me it's orlik golden slice. I smoke it like you can't imagine. But since I'm always looking for something new, Every time I reorder, I go to the part that says "customers also bought..." And order at least one of those, usually more than one.
I do this with my favorite for each style.
Also every order I purchase something I don't think I'll like... I've been surprised and more often than not I end up enjoying what I get.,,

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Welcome to the forum! Its a great place to be. There is a lot of information to be found and friends to be made. You have now stumbled upon the most magnificent of pipe forums! Congratulations!

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Welcome aboard.Great advice from all above.Stick to it and hang tuff.If you puff it it will come.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Welcome aboard! You will have a lot of questions most likely. Be prepared for wise and wide varieties of quick and knowledgeable answers.
Dont be afraid to buy different tobaccos from different companies just too try on a whim.
This is how I discovered the tobaccos that I treasure now. Try and find some pipers in your area, meet up, share and explore.
Its a great journey, and once you find what makes your eyes roll back in your head.... It gets really expensive. That goes for pipe shapes which make that perfect blend shine out as well.
Ive had the stars and moons all line up a few times now. It was enough to convince me to stop smoking cigarettes. That battle is now over.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Oh, Anthony, one additional tip: pay attention to the reaction of the folks exposed to the tobacco you smoke, for two reasons. First, the room note is important to their acceptance to your smoking (as you watch this forum you will see that not all of the spouses appreciate pipe smoking) and second, the smell in the room is part of the experience. Pipesandcigars.com is an excellent site and has a reliable room note grading system. Also a good place to buy an occasional tobacco on sale. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.