New Stem for a Missouri Meerschaum Cob Pipe. Worth it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
I received this little guy as part of a group bought from the Bay. It has never been smoked but it didn't have the stem. There are no cracks and it looks perfectly fine. Is it worth it to track down a stem for this? Checking over their site it looks like they are rather inexpensive and it may be easier to just get a whole new pipe. I'm still new to this and don't have just lying around to try as well. I'm thinking I could take it to a couple shops around here and see if they have a cheap stem for it. What would you folks do? All ideas appreciated.
img_0827-600x450.jpg

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Id say get a nice stem, acrylic or vulcanite, when that cob is trash you can put the stem on your next one

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Save it and then re-use a stem from a worn out cob to make it serviceable?

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
TopD and all: Thank you for that link. I was thinking about ordering a stem online but then I thought that maybe there would be differences in diameter. It looks like theirs is a one size fits all solution. That may be the route to go. This would be my first cob so I don't have any spares lying around. There are certainly nice stems on that site.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It's fine to get a custom stem, but I can almost guarantee you that you will want several cobs when you finally get to try them.
It never hurts to have a few replacement stems on hand, considering they only cost about a $1.50 - I'd rather go that route than have to replace a well worn yet good smoking cob.
The prices aren't high so you can try both if you wish. If that is your first corncob, however, I'd just get the plastic stem and give it a shot before I bothered with a custom bit...
(As I mentioned in my own thread, I personally find that it helps to soak the plastic stem in vodka (or stronger) every couple of smokes in addition to the usual maintenance. I find it makes a world of difference to an enjoyable cob smoking experience)

Jul 15, 2011
Hit up Walker Briar Works and get yourself a Churchwarden stem for your cob, and you will have what we on the forums call a "Cobwarden." I personally love Churchwardens and think they look badass and would love to have one for a cob, but thats just me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
First, is it made by Missouri Meerschaum? If it's Chinese then chuck it. If it is from MM then order the stems from MM as they are cheap and you'll be good to go.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Yep. It's a Missouri Meerschaum. Not sure how old it is, but I am liking that idea of a Churchwarden stem though. :)
img_0825-600x450.jpg

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Yup, forever stems are completely worth it. "one size fits all" is not exactly accurate. They are made specifically to fit MMs shanks. When I ordered mine I was amazed how fast they arrived, then amazed again at the fit, and how much they changed the character of my cobs. Top notch product.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Replacement stems at MM are only $0.50 each if you want to go that route. I definitely want to get one or two of those forever stems that TopD suggested for a my cobs though. Those things are sweet!

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
Yes, I ordered a Walker stem for my country gentleman, couldn't be happier. The stem will last longer than the cob and will go on the next one.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The stem may cost more than the cob, but it's worth it. I had one made for my Legend, which is similar to yours. It makes for a way better smoke, eliminates the filter and controls the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.