PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I just left on a short trip and forgot my pipe and tobacco at home, so I poked my head into a local tobacconist to see what they had. The original plan was to get a basket pipe that I could bang up or lose and not feel bad about it. But then I started looking at their selection of more modestly priced non-baskets. A savinelli caught my eye, with a nice durable, rugged look. It was an antique shell bent egg. I picked it up with a tin of gl pease stratford and some essential accessories.
I don't know how, but I didn't even notice the heavily oxidized stem until I was out of the store. I started looking at it and running a pipe cleaner through it so it'd be ready to smoke when I noticed it was more green than black. I'm not terribly experienced with oxidation, so I just gave it a rub to see if it was just the very surface. That's when I noticed the foul stench on it. It's indescribable really, but I think the closest description I read was something like burning rubber. I cleaned the stem up as best I could with toothpaste and now the smell is all but gone and the stem is just dull grey instead of green.
I'm a little disappointed that the stem was in such bad shape, and that I didn't even notice. But the pipe is good and the stratford is great. I smoked an entire bowl to fine ash without a relight. It'll be a great travel pipe, and a modest addition to a modest collection that is otherwise comprised of a fairly new Peterson Aran bent pot (that I am remiss not posting about, as it is a great pipe) and a couple of cobs. Pics may be forthcoming, but I don't currently have the capability.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, common occurance you have there. As you clean it off you will notice that burning smell, not a problem. And you are right, it also tastes bad. I start with 600 grit wet paper and rub(sand) stem (keeping it wet), untill stem is black again and very little trace of brown shows on wet paper during process. I then switch to 1500 grit wet paper and repeat process. Then I repeat again with a Majic Eraser, finally I finish off with Micro Mesh and then I rub a coat of Bees Wax on it. Let sit for half and hour and buff by hand with a soft cloth.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
You can also try a "Magic eraser" to clean it with. Then rub some olive oil or other cooking oil on it and wipe of with dish rag. I had the same problem with a new pipe. When the oxidation started to show, do it again. I did this easy process a few times and do not have much of a problem with it now. Magic erasers are cheap and you probably have some cooking oil around?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
soak it in oxiclean for less than an hour and then use some high grit micromesh in water.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The thing that sucks about sanding the stem down is that you will lose all logos and markings unless you cover them up first.
Also: you can use toothpaste to get rid of the oxidation.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Toothpaste and/or baking soda with a rag and lots of water, Magic Eraser with water and lots of elbow grease. Go slow. Sanding it, like juni said, takes off logos and such, and it's more expensive by the time you buy all the stuff to do it with ( not everyone has a garage or workshop stocked with all the necessary things ). Once all the filth is gone it will look gray and dull, no matter what you use to clean it with. You can use olive oil, coconut butter, grease from your face, lip balm etc etc etc. Let it sit for a while then buff with cloth and apply more if needed.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
No it should not look grey and dull, it should look black and dull after stage 1 of my process. I have only been doing this for 16 yrs but........ It takes me about 2-3 hours to refurbish a stem properly

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
another method that doesn't really dull it or take the logo off is to use barkeeper's friend. The only downside is it takes a long time and a little muscle.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I've had great results using the stem restore kit from Walker Briar Works. It costs $20 but will last a long time. There's only 2 steps, there is the cleaning compound and a sealing compound. Even heavily oxidized stems only take 45 min to 1 hour.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@nsfisher I was referring to scrubbing with toothpaste/baking soda and water or Magic Eraser with water only that leaves it grayish and dull . Maybe I'm doing something wrong or not scrubbing enough?

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Anybody try that new Obsidian product?

I have been using it for a couple months now on my personal pipes. It really does seem to work as advertised and keeps a couple of my trouble stems from getting bad. Really does a much better job than olive oil IMO and lasts a very long time. I maintain a fleet of about thirty pipes and have used about 1/5th of the product in 8-9wks.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Anybody try that new Obsidian product?
I use this with every few cleanings and it seems to be working well so far. I would recommend it!

Didn't even pay for mine, it just came as a gift with an order!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Also when you get the oxidation off, by what ever method you choose, get some carnuba wax and apply it using a buffer. If you don't have one (I don't) go to walker briar works and pick up some of their carnuba wax. It doesn't require a buffer just a soft rag. I have used it and it works great.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
+1 photoman13, that Walkers makes 'em shine like glass with not a lot of effort

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I'll tell you what, toothpaste definitely did the trick in the interim. It was all I had, being in a hotel away from home, and wanting to smoke my pipe sooner rather than later. After all, I got it to smoke, not to admire the star on the stem. I probably would have been a little more concerned if it wasn't just a cheap travel pipe for me. I'll have to give it another go with toothpaste or another abrasive to get it to an even black, and then give it a coat of olive oil or something to get some shine back to it and preserve it a bit. Thanks for all of the tips on how to restore the stem to its like-new luster.
Anybody have an idea how the stem could have been so oxidized being new, straight out of the cabinet at the tobacconist? Has it just been on their shelf so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.