PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BigEd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2023
Franklin, TN
I need some schoolin’ on DFK. I’m primarily a VaPer smoker and I absolutely hate Latakia. With Latakia it’s the very distinct smell and taste and not the strength. Is DFK completely different or am I likely to find it similar? Any recommendations on a blend that might be a good first try? Thanks.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I need some schoolin’ on DFK. I’m primarily a VaPer smoker and I absolutely hate Latakia. With Latakia it’s the very distinct smell and taste and not the strength. Is DFK completely different or am I likely to find it similar? Any recommendations on a blend that might be a good first try? Thanks.
I think it's different enough that it is at least worth a try. Latakia's smokiness is more herbal and incense like. DFK is more like a BBQ smokiness. As for what to try, you could jump into the deep end with something like HH Bold Kentucky. But I'd suggest GL Pease's JackKnife Plug if you like other Pease/C&D Virginias. JackKnife has about 20-25% DFK, I believe, and it is a very full-bodied and natural tasting smokiness. Both of these blends, and a lot of blends that use significant amounts of DFK tend to be on the strong side in terms of nicotine.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
For me it’s important to distinguish between a dark fired Kentucky , such as the c&d blender, and so many other smoke cured tobaccos that go by similar names —“old dark fired, Kendal Kentucky, Kendal dark, etc. The smoke flavors of the latter group are quite different from the former

Reactions: woodsroad and BigEd

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I for the most l part do not like Latakia, but love me some fire cured leaf.
It’s like Latakia, but for men (I kid, of course, but it does come with some nic).
Mind you, I’ve got a goat palate and mainly enjoy blends that make me feel like I’ve swallowed a little bit of my chewing tobacco by the time a smoke’s done.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
A couple of great blends featuring DFK: GL Pease-Six Pence & Montgomery. SP is a much bolder blend, while Montgomery is more sweet & bright.
Macbarren: Dark Twist Roll Cake & HH Old Dark Fired. DT is VA coins & VA/DFK coins. For every 2 VA coins, they add 1 of the VA/DFK. They’re topped with maple sugar, but it tastes more like molasses. HHODF is just DFK. It’s available in bulk so you can get a little & try it as is &/or add it to blends for fun.
Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices. VA/DFK coins. I’ve heard rumors that these are the leftover coins used in DTRC. Topped with maple sugar & very similar in appearance, I’d say it’s the truth. Gotta do something with the leavings!
Have fun on your journey & if you find one you really like, please update. I’m always looking to feed my TAD

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I'm just kind of getting into Dark Fired Kentucky blends but I feel like the difference in flavors ive seen is that Latakia tastes very smokey like a fire and DFK almost more reminds me of the rub you'll put on something your gonna barbecue. But I'm only a few bowls in to DFK so I could just be a fool.