Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Can't Leave
First of all, I snagged two of these new pipes from Brigham and they're on the way. Cost of $49 US each. Two Tundras. Rock Maple insert. The cheapest I can get any Tundra Series from Canada is about $140. Even with exchange and shipping I'm coming in with two pipes for less than 1 at home. Less taxes, too.

Check this URL out:

I've been bitching about pre-carbonated bowls ever since I came into the forum. I don't like them. Anyone who has prepared a colloidal suspension in University Chemistry or at home knows that any suspension including carbon particles or dust, or any other substance, in order for the colloidal suspension to harden into an insert, will be a polymer of some description.

In other words, you've been taking plastic into your system every time you break in one of these abominations. Not I said the little red hen. I noticed with pleasure one forum member saying he sanded the crap out of these things. I'll be following suit with those bowls I have that are not yet broken in.

If Brigham has recognized this problem (and I think they have - I'll see when the pipes arrive), they got my business until the other companies smarten up.

And it'll take a while for these new Brighams to reach my neck of the woods. And even in Ontario. If ever. And at these prices? Not like I need any more pipes but in this case, I pulled the trigger.

coldsnap888

Lurker
Mar 19, 2023
Is that the link to the pipe? Brigham has these new pipes that aren't part of the 1/2/3 dot system at my local store that they simply call "Brigham System" - those are about C$60 and more in line with what I am seeing. The $100 Tundra's have gold bands and Gold B's where the dots are (and the System's have a maple leaf). I could be wrong, in which case you have snagged a very good deal.

Reactions: gord

gord

Can't Leave
Is that the link to the pipe? Brigham has these new pipes that aren't part of the 1/2/3 dot system at my local store that they simply call "Brigham System" - those are about C$60 and more in line with what I am seeing. The $100 Tundra's have gold bands and Gold B's where the dots are (and the System's have a maple leaf). I could be wrong, in which case you have snagged a very good deal.
Yes, that's the link to the whole sale at Smokin'Pipes. Our prices for even entry level Brighams is about 50-60% more than you pay in Ontario. We're dog nuts in BC.

And all of the designations by all of the pipe makers (I have a Peterson, a Savinelli and a couple of Falcons) have different designations and even decor, than their US counterparts.

And I've not ever seen a Rock Maple insert mentioned in any other source. I believe it is a new and welcome product. We'll see.

It should also be noted that I don't think my Falcons have a pre-carbonated bowl, but my three bowls have all been stained with the same stain on the outside of the bowl itself. A step upwards imho.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
It seems the public likes these coatings. The majority of pipes have them. Some will wash out, some need sanding. Just be careful when you do it. If the pipe has a smooth top its easy to scratch it. Some painters tape along with care usually works.

Some bowl coatings are water based and has some gum arabic. I dont worry about the pastic issue. I dont like that it tastes funky.

• Love
Reactions: Kirklands and gord

gord

Can't Leave
It seems the public likes these coatings. The majority of pipes have them. Some will wash out, some need sanding. Just be careful when you do it. If the pipe has a smooth top its easy to scratch it. Some painters tape along with care usually works.
Yes, marketing is part of it . . . give 'em what they want. And i seriously doubt that any more the a very small percentage of the public knows what a colloidal vehicle is. Nor do they probably care. But they use one every time they take an ointment medicine and many other food substances. Otherwise the stuff would separate and wouldn't look nice.😟

Processed "cheese" in a jar is a good example.

Reactions: Sigmund

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ash and water has been used for a chamber coating and repair for years. It gets rock hard when dry though I prefer ash and sour cream as a chamber coating.

gord

Can't Leave
Ash and water has been used for a chamber coating and repair for years. It gets rock hard when dry though I prefer ash and sour cream as a chamber coating.
I got that recipe for pipe mudding in my now infamous (to me anyway) thread on gurgling. I still have refused to mud a pipe - wanted to learn to smoke it first. And I do understand that it gets rock hard. But there is a considerable difference between cigar ash and carbon dust or particles. Carbon won't bond to water, unless all that granulated carbon in aquarium filters is masquerading in drag. There has to be a colloidal synergy happening with some other vehicle.

What companies use a water based colloid? That would be good to know. What i taste in my pre-carboned bowls has a distinct plasticized taste and hasn't washed out. Have to burn the suckers out or sand them. Both my Sav and Peterson won't wash or scrape out. A couple of older McQueens scraped out. Some of them are plain, without any coating. Yay for tradition.

I still have a whole small packet of cigar ash in case I ever change my mind, but I've pretty much beaten the gurgle. Now I'm hoping that pre-carboned bowls will go the way of the dodo.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I sadly had to return the only Brigham I ever bought. The grain on it was absolutely stunning, however I didn't look close enough at the size. It was masssssssiveeeeeeee.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Carbon won't bond to water, unless all that granulated carbon in aquarium filters is masquerading in drag. There has to be a colloidal synergy happening with some other vehicle.
Charcoal powder works well with sour cream as well. I've used that on the pipes I've made. Gives them a finished look.

• Love

gord

Can't Leave
I sadly had to return the only Brigham I ever bought. The grain on it was absolutely stunning, however I didn't look close enough at the size. It was masssssssiveeeeeeee.
Their bowls are indeed large.
Charcoal powder works well with sour cream as well. I've used that on the pipes I've made. Gives them a finished look.
Sour cream would be excellent . . . contains casein, a powerful bonding agent used in artists' paint and glue for violin repair. It can be undone if you know what you are doing and as you make pipes and judging from your comments, you do. 😃

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Their bowls are indeed large.

Sour cream would be excellent . . . contains casein, a powerful bonding agent used in artists' paint and glue for violin repair. It can be undone if you know what you are doing and as you make pipes and judging from your comments, you do. 😃
A wet paper towel will take it right out.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@gord have you ever reached out to Brigham and asked about making some pipes without coatings?

Maybe it’s time to start buying pipes next time without coatings. Granted a lot of companies add them, but there are still pipes without.

All my pipes I buy are uncoated…

• Love