Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42283974@N04/5410278749/
Briars, a meerschaum, and a cob.
Each one has a loose stem, and all stems have teeth marks or other wear. Some rehab is in order, but I am in no hurry at all.
Today I will go ahead and clean them all with booze and pipe cleaners so at least they will be ready, come the day when I am ready to fix them and/or send out for repair.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Thanks.
The meerschaum stem is only a bit overclocked. I think I can rehab it sufficiently for government work with just a bit of a shim. maybe a bit of light polish on the end of the stem to lighten the scuff marks, and it should be fine.
The cob is a throwaway, as it is a $4 item. I may play with it, just to kill time, but have no real illusions about saving it for posterity.
The far right upper is possibly a goner, as well. The hole for the stem is wallowed out pretty well. I imagine it can be repaired, but I don't think the pipe is worth the repair. In any case, when I get some fundage specifically for this sort of thing, I will take them to a pipe shop and inquire about possible repair strategies. As it stands, I have an extra pipe now with a minor shim job due, and that is more than I started with this morning.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You might be able to fix the loose stems yourself. With a vulcanite stem and maybe even some acrylics the tenon can be heated(carefully) until it starts to soften,then holding it straight and square and all that, push the tenon against a hard surface,edge of a counter etc and hold it for a few seconds until it cools. This shortens and expands the tenon. If you expand too much just sand it lightly with fine sandpaper until its snug.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Is that a Ben Wade next to the Calabash :?:
It looks like a nice gourd calabash, too. These pipes aren't talked about much and are highly underrated, IMO. They are great smokers, nice and cool. They fit the hand really nicely.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I will try the heat and push method on the stems. Nothing to lose by trying.
The Calabash has, as described by the previous owner, a meerschaum lined bowl. It is the one that just needs some shimming to make right. I cleaned it up today, and have already burned a bowl. Worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.