PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nathaniel B.

Lurker
Jan 13, 2023
Chicago, IL
I began smoking pipes around Christmas time, when I started it was about 2 bowls a week. Now I’m smoking about a bowl a day. With that being said, I’ve noticed my gums feel sore and are irritated every now and then. Is this a normal thing when beginning to smoke pipes or is it just me??

Reactions: Briar Lee

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
1. Drinking cold beverage while smoking.
2. Don't puff frequently, there should be less smoke than you think.
3. Touch your cheek with your pipe. If you feel too hot then it is time to stop puffing and rest until the temperature goes down.
4. Maybe you tobaccos are too wet. Rub & Expose them to open air for 1 hour before you pack & lit the ribbon cuts; 2 days for flakes. (Extend or shorten the time depending on the humidity in your room.)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It is to be expected.

It is something that you should monitor yourself, and study and analyse yourself. Take a break of a few days to let the mouth heal and then proceed to smoke taking note of type of tobacco, cut, cadence, number of relights, and above all, frequency of smoking, and then check your mouth to see what changes.

This might be a number of things: the mouth reacting to something new and needing time to acclimatise to the new conditions/irritants, a reaction to a certain type of tobacco, irritation or burns due to aggressive relighting, an allergic reaction to the material the mouthpiece is made of, et cetera.

Skip the doctor: most likely he'll tell you that smoke is evil and you need to stop now. They're no longer interested in investigating issues or following the scientific method to suss things out; it's all "medicine by short lists and forms" nowadays.

Of course, do see a physician if you develop major problems, but those problems will be so painful or obvious that the advice to see a doc will be unnecessary.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Yes, perfectly normal in most cases; but, as Brother @bullet08 has pointed out, this is not the place to seek medical advice, and specifically for the reasons Brother @olkofri has pointed out - amongst other reasons.

Wait until you get introduced to your first experience with tongue bite! You're in for some short-term discomfort - which we have all been through when first picking up the pipe and learning how to smoke it properly.

However, these effects are quite normal in the early stages.

Out of curiosity, what are you smoking? Some of those flavored PPG-Sprayed mixutres which beginners usually encounter first can be murder!

P.S. Welcome to the Forum! - Sherm Natman

Last edited:

Nathaniel B.

Lurker
Jan 13, 2023
Chicago, IL
Yes, perfectly normal in most cases; but, as Brother @bullet08 has pointed out, this is not the place to seek medical advice, and specifically for the reasons Brother @olkofri has pointed out - amongst other reasons.

Wait until you get introduced to your first experience with tongue bite! You're in for some short-term discomfort - which we have all been through when first picking up the pipe and learning how to smoke it properly.

However, these effects are quite normal in the early stages.

Out of curiosity, what are you smoking? Some of those flavored PPG-Sprayed mixutres which beginners usually encounter first can be murder!

P.S. Welcome to the Forum! - Sherm Natman
Thank you for your response! I have been doing a lot of experimenting with Peterson blends. I’ve found that I enjoy non aromatics, so lately I’ve been smoking a lot of English blends and Latakia
What a relief!

At first I thought you were going to say: "I am not a Doctor, but I've been known to play one in the bedroom." :ROFLMAO: - Sherm Natman

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I began smoking pipes around Christmas time, when I started it was about 2 bowls a week. Now I’m smoking about a bowl a day. With that being said, I’ve noticed my gums feel sore and are irritated every now and then. Is this a normal thing when beginning to smoke pipes or is it just me??
Maybe I missed it.... what blend are you smoking? puffy

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Other than your jaw being sore if you are clenching and the muscles not being used to it, I would say gum pain is something I've never experienced and wouldn't think to be normal.

Reactions: FLDRD