PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
plip peterson.jpgSo I got me another Peterson the other day, a 314 smooth system spigot just like in the picture. I have a 317 already, but just the standard type with the nickel collar and without the metal on the stem. The tip of the p-lip as you can see in the upper right=hand corner of the picture is a bit sharp, unlike the stem of the 317. The first time I tried it out, the tip felt a little different and somewhat irritating, so I compared the two. The 317 tip is more rounded off. So I thought about it a minute. I filed the tip of the new one down so it would be more rounded, then sanded it smooth and polished it somewhat with one of those seven-sided nail file/buffers. Perfection. This seemed like a better solution than trying to send it back and complain or mail it to Ireland or something for them just to sand it down like I did. Some guys hate the p-lip, and it could be because they got the sharp-tipped one instead of the rounded. I'm not sure why they are inconsistent in this way. Otherwise the 314 smokes about the same as the 317 although the other end of the stem that goes in the shank on the 317 is more hollow and gets smaller the further up whereas the 314 has the same size bore from end to end.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
If your 317 is a modern system standard it will have an acrylic bit, your new spigot will likely be a vulcanite bit. The profile on Peterson's acrylic and vulcanite bits is quite a bit different. I suspect they get them from different suppliers. The acrylic P-lip tends to be a fair bit more bulbous and rounded over while the vulcanite P-Lip tends to be much sharper and more sleek.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Some guys hate the p-lip, and it could be because they got the sharp-tipped one instead of the rounded. I'm not sure why they are inconsistent in this way.
Your system spigot 314 probably has an vulcanite stem while the system standard 317 has an acrylic stem. Their p-lips are slightly different shapes. [Oops, I see Rustie beat me to it!]

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Not guna lie I was real close to buying a smooth like the one you posted. Maybe was even that same one. I'll be purchasing a sandblasted 314 in the next couple of weeks.

I had one that was given to me years ago. It was a "failed" restoration on his end. He restrained the pipe black, and it just looked gross. I never smoked it (cause it's a smoked estate) but I did test out the plip multiple times. I absolutely love how the 314 hangs.

I had two Peterson's that I hated early on. But I feel now that it's been 10 years, I need to give them another shot. The 314 is a must buy for me.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yeah they’re a little bulbous but I’ve enjoyed them in spite of that. @RustiePyles CPG can probably give you some bite zone thickness measurements if you think it’s an issue. I can also do it but not until Friday.
The only (Peterson made) acrylic P-Lips I have are Pub pipes, I don't own any modern System Standards. I'm not sure the acrylic Deluxe style stem on the Pub/House line would be the same as the System Standard.

Reactions: AroEnglish

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Not guna lie I was real close to buying a smooth like the one you posted. Maybe was even that same one. I'll be purchasing a sandblasted 314 in the next couple of weeks.

I had one that was given to me years ago. It was a "failed" restoration on his end. He restrained the pipe black, and it just looked gross. I never smoked it (cause it's a smoked estate) but I did test out the plip multiple times. I absolutely love how the 314 hangs.

I had two Peterson's that I hated early on. But I feel now that it's been 10 years, I need to give them another shot. The 314 is a must buy for me.
The 314 is my favorite "all-round" pipe for everything from walking around with it hanging, to sitting still contemplating. It hangs perfectly, is the right size bowl for a variety of cuts and length of session. I've at least 8 of them. The older P-lips seem to be narrower in vulcanite, the newest ones I have are a little wider & thicker acrylic and I find them to be even better. The older ones, sometimes are quite narrow and seem to accidentally "roll" in the clench sometimes, no chance of that with the newer ones.
I like lots but it's my favorite.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The 314 is my favorite "all-round" pipe for everything from walking around with it hanging, to sitting still contemplating. It hangs perfectly, is the right size bowl for a variety of cuts and length of session. I've at least 8 of them. The older P-lips seem to be narrower in vulcanite, the newest ones I have are a little wider & thicker acrylic and I find them to be even better. The older ones, sometimes are quite narrow and seem to accidentally "roll" in the clench sometimes, no chance of that with the newer ones.
I like lots but it's my favorite.
Actually sounds like what I need! That's good cause I don't want to spend the money on the vulcanite ones! 😂

Reactions: FLDRD

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ll leave this here for anyone wanting one: