PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Previously, I've been using my variable speed drill for buffing pipes and stems. That system worked, but I wanted a more capable system.

Clearing out my parents basement, I found this 1/3 hp, 1750 rpm motor. I tested it and it ran smooth and quiet. I wired it using a heavy duty appliance wire and added an insulated toggle switch to turn it off/on.

I was looking at the Beall system for an arbor mount, but really didn't want to pay that kind of money. I already had the rouges and carnuba they offered with the kit. I was showing the motor to my Uncle, who used to do a lot of plastic work. He said that he thought there were some unused pad arbors in his workshop and when I visited, he had this long arbor ready for the 1/2" shaft. I already had some pads and bought a few more via Jestco (ejames recommended, thanks!) They also carry arbor mounts for $13, so if you need one, that is a few bucks cheaper than the Beall. Maybe not quite as handy, as a 3/4" wrench is needed for pad changes, vs. the twist off Beall mounts.

I was going to mount it to a piece of wood or something, but in test today, it is heavy enough as is and doesn't move. So, I can easily store it out of sight when not needed.
The motor has two capped spigots, above each end of the shaft. I assume that is for lubrication. Any idea on what kind of oil is used on a motor shaft?
Now, I just need some more estate pipes, and I'm hoping to pick some up at the Richmond show.
Thanks member ejames for some tips and inspiration!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Just don't use WD-40. It gunks up when it gets hot. I would suggest using some sewing machine oil. Cheap, lots of it around, and comes with a pointed tip for easy application.
Nice set up. Still looking for mine.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Glad you got a buffer set up! If you don't have any 3 in 1 oil around(everyone should!) regular motor oil will work.

You might pick up a set of these--or something similar to keep your motor from moving.I did that for a while as my wife wouldn't let me drill holes in the table I was using.

http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-6-Inch-Locking-C-Clamp/dp/B00004SBBG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I was going to drill two holes in that piece of corian covering the laminate workbench top. Just pull it out over the edge (the corian sheet), drop the bolts through the motor feet to anchor. But, this thing is so heavy, it didn't move at all when I used it yesterday. I'll try it like that for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the oil tips, I have some 3-1 just on the shelf below and will add a few drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.