PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I just bought a new meerschaum pipe. Never had one before. Should I keep it in the case it came in or just put it in the rack with my other pipes. Thanks.

Reactions: yanoJL

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Question about storing it in its case. If you close the case will it affect how the pipe dries out? Is there the chance for it to get potentially Miffy (unpleasant smells or micro biomes growing in places that should not be growing?)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have a 12 pipe rack that most of my standard size meers are kept on. A few larger ones that won't fit on the rack I keep in their cases...unless they've just been smoked, then I leave them out on a pipe rest.

Reactions: Hunter1

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Matter of opinion. I personally keep all mine on a rack so any moisture has a chance to dry out. The case is for when you're going to be carrying it around. puffy

Reactions: reloader

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I keep all of mine in the cases for storage. Except my Altinay. That one didn't come with a hard case. So that sits on a stand by itself. I don't bother with the leather bag, it just goes in my chest pocket when I'm out.

Pipeh

Lurker
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
I recently received my first Meerschaum. I was surprised to see the form-fitting velvet-lined leather-bound hinged hard case. How are these cases made? Is it wood inside?

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Another thought about meerschaum storage.... Don't keep them where a florescent light shines on them. It can bleach out the coloring. However, in some cases the color will return in time. Don't ask me how or why... it's weird. puffy

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Another thought about meerschaum storage.... Don't keep them where a florescent light shines on them. It can bleach out the coloring. However, in some cases the color will return in time. Don't ask me how or why... it's weird. puffy
Good point.

I store mine in my cabinet, and I only use a few lamps for light in my shop as the over-head florescent bulb is too bright for me when I want to relax with a pipe or cigar. So, it's not the florescent bulb, but I have noticed that if I haven't smoked a meerschaum in a while (i.e. months) the pipe seems to lose some of its color. Once I start smoking them again, the color comes back like before. It's weird.

Another thing that will ruin your color is if you're re-waxing your pipe, and you over-heat the pipe when removing the excess wax. It basically bleaches the color right out. Definitely not what you want to do with your pipe.