PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dublinpiper90

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
When smoking a non aro, do you use your English pipe or aro pipe?

Welcome!
Dublin, Ireland?, California?, Ohio?, Carolinas?, New York? etc.

Please
put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Depends on the aro for me. I'll use any pipe to smoke an aro like Edward G Robinson... but for aros like G&H Ennerdale or JA Dragon Flake, I have a pipe that's dedicated to aros, though I will smoke a bowl of burley in my aro pipe if I am changing to a different aro than what I had been previously smoking in it.

It just depends how much a given aro it wants to ghost.

I have dedicated pipes now for English, burley, Virginia and aros. I used to not, but I also used to alcohol clean them on a weekly basis. Since I am too lazy for that (just shank and stem cleaning once a month), dedicated pipes now (that and because burley is delicate and easily influenced by prior smokes no matter what kind of smoke it was, in my experience).

Reactions: dublinpiper90

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
For me i divide non aro into 5 pipes

1. Latakia based (English, Balkan, or Scottish),
  2. Orientals or VaOr,
  3. Burley or VaBur,
  4. VA neat,
  5. Virginia Periques
You can group 2 through 5 into one pipe as they don't ghost. I do notice subtle changes so I decided to separate but its not necessary right away. Latakia ghosts. So if you have minimum 3 pipes you can start. I would caution on Latakia in a cob. Some like it some don't. You'll have to see for yourself.

dublinpiper90

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
I’ve been a pipe smoker off and on for 10 years or so, I have always smoked aros mostly I have tried English blends 1st was early morning pipe and night cap, night cap seems to be a whole lot stronger both are good smokes, I have a pipe that I smoked aros out of but was trying to covert it to a English pipe any suggestions on coverting it over to english

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Welcome from the Space Coast of Florida, don't smoke aros personally, i find that i get all that sweetness from Straight VAs and some VaPers, if i did start to smoke them i would probably have a pipe just for those.