PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Beyond a few labeling delays, I think we are still facing the same obstacles.
I have not heard many new developments about these regulations but the clock is ticking...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As I am new to this, should I be on the lookout for a decently priced tin? The Dark Star really seems interesting to me if not by name alone.
Be prepared to pay $100+/tin.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Is this why some american manufacturers have over 100 blends to offer , to grandfather them in before the regs take effect ?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Pre-2007 blends will supposedly be grandfathered in if there were no changes to the blend since then.
The rush to create new blends was probably moreso related to the fact that pipe smoking was on the rise and manufacturers will not be able to introduce new products in the future.
I was not following the pipe community when all of these proposed regulations were introduced so forgive me if I am not 100% accurate. I think we won't know the true extent of the damage until the axe falls...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is this why some american manufacturers have over 100 blends to offer , to grandfather them in before the regs take effect ?
No, they have that many because they were in business for years and decades before the deeming was even considered.

manufacturers will not be able to introduce new products in the future.

Companies will be able to submit new products after the deeming date. The same thing has applied to cigarettes and chewing tobaccos, and they have new products coming out all the time.

The problem is that they will have to apply for and pay for testing, and no one has a clear picture of what that costs. I suspect that These pipe tobacco companies will partner up with cigarette companies to cover the costs of product testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.