PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Long title for a brief review.
This is an estate pipe, Grabow "Savoy", only this is an older one with a stinger insert, and will not accept any filters. I have no idea what the age range is on this, and maybe one of the Grabow experts might be able to put it in a certain date range.
This one is in very nice condition, and was well taken care of. The markings are clear, and the finish and stem are in very nice condition.
It smokes very nicely. It doesn't have that "big draw" like a filter pipe, and draws as well as, if not better than, my Kaywoodie. I am very pleased with the pipe. I will post some pics of it soon.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
imag0777.jpg

imag0778r.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
A Stinger!
affraid.gif

You might look to see if there is Patent Number "on the pipe".

If there is; you can assume that it was made sometime after that Patent Number was issued.

The Dr. Graybow Adjustomatic was Patented in 1946 (if memory serves)...

That stinger may have a Patent Number.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
the only other marking that I can see is the "aged and imported briar" stamp on the other side of the pipe from the Grabow stamp.
The fact that it smokes well is enough. And, because of its construction, I will never let Uncle Arthur come near it.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
That is one nice looking grabow. nice to see someone else who doesn't mind a little plumbing with their pipe. I doubt Arthur carries a dremel in his pocket so your pipe should be safe.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I have an older regal with a stinger. Mine is removable. I much prefer the draw without the stinger.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Your Savoy could date anywhere from the mid 50's to the early 80's.

Look here for more info on the various Grabow lines-- http://drgrabow-pipe-info.com/

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That's a pull out stinger from the look of it. If I thought it had collector value I might save it in a marked baggie. Or just trash it! LOL!!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
NO! Don't trash it! Save 'em up and recycle them! Aluminum prices are up! Or stick it in an envelope and send it to me! I keep them on hand for pipes I restore.
Portascat,although they still make the Savoy, they went to ABS plastic stems in about 1981 on most of the DG lines.Since yours has a rubber stem(looks like rubber anyway) it was made before 1981.

Status
Not open for further replies.