PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Speaking of nice cobs have you guys seen the $49 cobs. They come with a very nice stem but still. And the $29 nose warmer cob seems a bit outrageous too. Maybe someone could give me some insight as to why they are so expensive.
Link is here at the bottom.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
The cheap plastic stems that MM uses have been replaced with high quality vulcanite. You can get the CW with the original stem for $27.99.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Oh okay. Do the original stems on cobs usually die out before a cob's bowl does?

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
The originals are very hard and brittle and tend to be hard to keep really clean. They also break easily.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here is my first MM Corn Cob Pipe, I bought this back around 1976. I have replaced the stem, many many moons ago. If you look closely you will see that the cake has penetrated the walls and sealed up those undetectable cracks that are natural to cobs. The cake tends to come through the pairs of dark brown spots that are on the outside of the plaster coated bowl that gives the cob is characteristic corn cob look.

I admit that I had set it down for several years, but with all the discussion about cobs in the forums over the last several months, I put it back into the rotation 5 or 6 months ago. I have gained a new appreciation for the "lowly cob".
My First Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe:

MyFirstMMCobca1976.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I guess I have really crappy briars because this cob seems to knock most of my collection out of the water.
And very nice cob Lawrence. Is that a gold band or just yellow plastic around the shank?

Status
Not open for further replies.