PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Nice churchwarden. I am told the smoke is cooler, but it heats up the bowl more with a churchwarden.

irishbriar

Lurker
Jul 25, 2015
It is true with many churchwarden bowls will heat up because they tend to be smaller, but this is one of my handcrafted pipes and my Churchwardens are full size bowls, many of my customers order an additional Acrylic stem so they can smoke the pipe as a churchwarden or a regular 6" pipe the specs on this pipe 10.75" Forward Canted Churchwarden 10k gold leaf shamrock- 3/4" bore, dead center bottom drilled, bowl height 2"- bore depth 1.75," Briar with Vulcanite stem. You will also find many Churchwardens made of Pear, Apple, Ash, etc... this may be the reason for the hotter bowls, perhaps a churchwarden with a somewhat constricted airway would cause some heat as the smoker would be drawing harder, here is a review by Jason Robledo of "Briar Nation" on a pipe he requested from me. Jason Robledo review of Irish Briar Pipes I have only been making pipes for 5 months, and they are handmade, not turned with a lathe, the only power tool I use is a small drill press, everything else is elbow grease, wood files and a crapload of sandpaper.

I have had many mentors from the pipe groups, John Hines, Tim West, Josh Whitehead and many more have given advice freely, I don't really consider myself an artisan pipe maker, I guess I think of myself more of a folk art pipe maker, perhaps the way one of our great grandfathers or grandfathers would have made their own pipe back when you had to wait 6 weeks for a mail order pipe. I feel blessed that anyone would want one of my pipes and for some reason they have become popular, I think due to the fact they smoke great, have thick bowls and an open airway. Sorry I didn't mean for this to sound like a commercial, just sharing my philosophy and thoughts on my approach to pipe making. I really do appreciate the kind comments above, every week it gets a little better as does my pipe making, since last Wed I sold 14 pipes and it blows my mind, I guess there is a certain appeal to them, I just try to make a pipe that someone request or one that I would like to smoke myself.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.