PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Ok guys here's one for you: I just purchased my first Boswell pipe and it is absolutely beautiful. However, the stem fits kind of weird. Figure the part of the stem that goes into the shank of the pipe is about 3/4" long. For the first 1/2" it's loose as can be, as in there's absolutely no resistance. Then for the last 1/4" of the stem it gets really tight and the last 1/16" of it you really have to force on. Is this common? I have 3 Savinelli's and 2 Paronelli's and none of the stems fit like this. Any help is appreciated it!

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
I have a Boswell thats a year old and was the same way.I used some 1200 fine sandpaper on it very carefully at the very end of the tenon and it worked out just fine.

Maybe someone has a safer method to try.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My first suggestion it to contact Boswell and let them help resolve the situtation. Next try some beeswax on the stem. Might help.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
+1 marmalde
Do not sand or apply beeswax until u apply a no. 2 pencul or mechanical pencil 0.7 lead application. I had thr same problem w.my peterson and realize that stem is extremely tight n almost breaking the stem.
Solution: draw and coat the tenon with a pencil until it becomes dark grey. Then slowly reinstall the stem by twisting gradually. The lead acts like a lubricant and improves installation. Goodluck drawing!

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I bought a Boswell last Sat at the shop and commented on the tight fit of the stem. Dan looked at it tried to take the stem out and went out back to "loosen it" a bit. I felt the fit was much nicer after that. I also ordered another pipe that I got on Tuesday, I had the same feeling and hit it with some 600 wet. That helped and after smoking a couple bowls it was still snug, but not to where I feared snapping the stem trying to remove it for a cleaning. I'm sure if you give them a call they could make a suggestion or have you send it to them to have them adjust it. It may be they just make them tight and expect them to loosen in time.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks for the quick replies! I'm really concerned with the stem not grabbing until the last 1/4 of the tenon. I'm afraid if I loosen or lubricate the tight part of the tenon, there won't be enough "grab" to hold the stem in place. Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid.
Jcsnaps, its good to hear that you had the same issue multiple times. Maybe its just the way they're made.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Just a note. I recently had experience with a stem that I actually feared to twist for fear of breaking the tenon. I tried pencil lead, and it helped some, but was insufficient. After a suggestion, I bought some graphite lubricant in a tube from Home Depot. Now the stem is still very firm, but perfectly workable. My thought is that "graphite lubricant" is more than just "pencil lead scrappings." But, I dunno...

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Good to know. I have a tube of that for lubing the lugs on my drum kit. Ill have to give it a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.