Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Can't Leave
My new meer has arrived! $79.00 Canadian plus cheap shipping from Quetbec, 70 years old, unsmoked and with a case yet. Might be my best cheap pipe, eh? EBay so you know.

Here are three shots of the beauty. And an info request from meer smokers after the pictures.

IMGP5154 meer opt.JPG

IMGP5155 opt bowl.JPG

IMGP5158 pipe in case opt.JPG

If you notice inside the bowl, there is a slight scuff mark. I plan to ignore it because I think that as I smoke it, a ghostly coating will cover it and all will be well, Let me know if I"m wrong; I often am. But understand I have NO mechanical or shop skills at all. A total moron in this regard. And do not wish to develop them.

A request for meer smokers. I plan to break this one in on Sunday Picnic, one of my favorite Orientals, and the one that I have the most of. Given the ghosting problem with meerschaum, would it be "permissible" to smoke a few other Orientals once in a while that have similar ingredients? Like other faves of mine, Amphora Rich, Britt's Balkan, and Steamworks, for instance. I'm thinking yes. I've biased my little miniature meer for cherry aromatics, my meer bowl for rum based aromatics, but I'd like to have this pipe biased for Orientals, my go-to smokes along with Navy blends.

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A request for meer smokers. I plan to break this one in on Sunday Picnic, one of my favorite Orientals, and the one that I have the most of. Given the ghosting problem with meerschaum, would it be "permissible" to smoke a few other Orientals once in a while that have similar ingredients? Like other faves of mine, Amphora Rich, Britt's Balkan, and Steamworks, for instance. I'm thinking yes. I've biased my little miniature meer for cherry aromatics, my meer bowl for rum based aromatics, but I'd like to have this pipe biased for Orientals, my go-to smokes along with Navy blends.
Sounds like a plan.👍

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
It will ghost but you should be fine. I do my meers like briars in that I stick to a genre. To tell the truth, the only blends that I find ghost a pipe near permanently are CBG, Exotic Passion and English blends.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
My new meer has arrived! $79.00 Canadian plus cheap shipping from Quetbec, 70 years old, unsmoked and with a case yet. Might be my best cheap pipe, eh? EBay so you know.

Here are three shots of the beauty. And an info request from meer smokers after the pictures.

If you notice inside the bowl, there is a slight scuff mark. I plan to ignore it because I think that as I smoke it, a ghostly coating will cover it and all will be well, Let me know if I"m wrong; I often am. But understand I have NO mechanical or shop skills at all. A total moron in this regard. And do not wish to develop them.

Thanks for looking in.
Love the pipe! I tend to keep "close" to the same genres of tobacco in my meers. But I stray sometimes and it doesn't bother me.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice pipe sir, I'm under the opposite impression about meerschaum, that it notoriously doesn't ghost. Maybe im wrong
Meerschaum WILL ghost.
The only pipe in my collection that DOES NOT ghost is my Royal Copenhagen porcelain.
And that is because you can easily get it back to bare walls with a moist scrunched up kitchen paper towel after each smoke

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalaw87 and gord

SmokingInTheWind

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
That is a beautiful pipe. Well done! My one and only eBay binge years ago involved fly rods. I haven’t been on eBay since. Now you got me thinking.
Must resist.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gord

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Indonesia
Pretty little pipe! I always love to see a picture of meerschaum pipe but never have the gut to pull the trigger. Carelessness and clumpsy hands will make it shatter in no time.

• Wow
Reactions: gord

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Pretty little pipe! I always love to see a picture of meerschaum pipe but never have the gut to pull the trigger. Carelessness and clumpsy hands will make it shatter in no time.
I’d posit that shattering meers is no more frequent than snapping the tenon off of briars.
Short of straight abuse and bad accidents don’t be skeered. And there’s plenty of meers out there that won’t break the bank for you to dip your toe in the pool.

SmokingInTheWind

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico

I thought the same thing but I gave it a try with a lower priced meer. I dropped it on a tile floor and expected the worst. All it did was put a small flat spot on the side of the bowl. I have been smoking it often since with no problems. Give it a try. You won’t regret it.

I thought the same thing but I gave it a try with a lower priced meer. I dropped it on a tile floor and expected the worst. All it did was put a small flat spot on the side of the bowl. I have been smoking it often since with no problems. Give it a try. You won’t regret it.
I concur. As long as it doesn't happen to hit just right, they're tougher than they get credit for. Also, dedicate that genre and deviate as desired. A ghost can be exorcised either with cleaning or time. I do the same with most of mine without issue. Enjoy it! :)