Need some info about repairing a meerschaum pipe stem.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalo96

Lurker
Nov 17, 2012
Greensboro, NC
My Dad had a few meerschaum pipes that he got while stationed in Turkey in the early 60's. Years of benign indifference have taken their toll on them and I have inherited a couple of the more injured meers this week. One is a Turk head where the stem screw tenon broke off at the mortise. The other one is a nice billiard like bowl with a grape vine pattern on it where the screw in tenon is loose in the mortise. I will post pictures when I get home.
My question is can you refurbish pipes like these with new stems? I would love to refurb with new acrylic stems so I can keep the Turk and give the other back to my Dad. Any advice or names of reputable meerschaum repair folks? Any ideas how much something like that would cost per pipe... ballpark.
Thanks!

Les

buffalo96

Lurker
Nov 17, 2012
Greensboro, NC
I finally got some snaps of my meerschaums. I am just trying to figure out who I want to fix it and how much it will cost me.
123012223214.jpg

123012223150.jpg

123012223113.jpg

Upon closer inspection, the grapevine pipe's tenon has worn out threads. The Turk's tenon was epoxied into place, probably because it was loose, and then snapped off. Won't be an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.