PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
I recently got a new estate pipe off ebay. I am a fan of it. The thing that bugs me is there is no branding. Someone made a beautiful pipe that smokes great and seems like they took their time with a lot of the finer details, why wouldn't they brand it? The only identifying markings are as follows:

"ST.MARIES"
MADE IN THE
REPUBLIC
OF IRELAND

Now I've been able to find that Peterson did/does stamp their pipes with "made in the republic of Ireland" but I would be shocked if Peterson wouldn't brand one of their pipes. There's no doubt more than one pipe manufacturer in Ireland. Is this a cheeky attempt at a small pipe maker attempting to pass their work off as a Peterson?

Any help would be appreciated, pictures below.

20240712_131708.jpg
20240712_132004.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
Peterson has tried a lot of things over the years. The quotation marks are an unusual touch though. To me, it suggests that “St. Maries” is not the brand name.

Years ago I bought a well used Made in Ireland pipe stamped “Irish Bents.” No Peterson anywhere — but it was a P-lip Peterson 303 shape carved from a solid block of putty with a few bits of briar to hold it together. I still miss that pipe. Yours is a nice looking one.

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
Peterson has tried a lot of things over the years. The quotation marks are an unusual touch though. To me, it suggests that “St. Maries” is not the brand name.

Years ago I bought a well used Made in Ireland pipe stamped “Irish Bents.” No Peterson anywhere — but it was a P-lip Peterson 303 shape carved from a solid block of putty with a few bits of briar to hold it together. I still miss that pipe. Yours is a nice looking one.
The unanimous opinion seems to be Peterson from here and elsewhere.

It smokes good and I like it. I suppose that's all that really matters. There are a significant number of imperfections in the briar, instead of filling these, it looks like they opted for an uneven craggy type of rustication pattern to camouflage these and avoid fills. All I can think is that Peterson's QA deemed the chunk of briar unfit for a Peterson logo, but decided not to waste it so they made an unbranded basket pipe with a random name.

I have no plans on reselling it so I suppose it really doesn't matter if it's a no-name or not. Now I just gotta see if I can find an unbranded Dunhill lol

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This a guy who is making a typical newbie request of "I have this pipe, what can you tell me about it?". With giving us a clue as to where he has looked himself or what he has found.