PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Meer Queen. She knows!
MeerQueen is not a 'she', but the name of a family run business. :wink:
I've only had two meerschaum pipes in my life and I sold both as I didn't care for ether of them due to a very tight draw on both. Other than that, the look of this pipe is admittedly quite different from the 'norm' when it comes to meerschaum's, but I still find it somewhat attractive. However, to state that this pips is 'rare' is somewhat off putting and merely an ambiguous nomenclature to draw attention to it. For a few bucks I might be tempted to buy it and give it a try (which I won't), but I'll have to agree, for lack of better knowledge when it comes to meerschaum, with meerqueen.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm sure MeerQueen's assessment is accurate, but I'd be interested to know why exactly. Is it evident just by looking at the pics that it is an inferior grade of meer, or is it because leaving the top "raw" like that will cause problems as it is used.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Sorry i need to correct my statement as: "It is the one of the worst meerschaum PIPE i have ever seen" Even it is made of natural stone.
It is not easy to talk about the quality of meerschaum just from here.but that kind of meerschaum which has some black points on,mostly is not suitable for making pipes.for example it is not possible to carve a smooth classic pipe with this meerschaum.mostly the black points goes into the deep of the stone and if you want to clean them, then the stone gets very smaller .

That type of stone mostly is chosen for figural designs.I would say the grade of this meerschaum is 4 out of 6

That type of stone may be very heavy or light .this depends on how deep it is mined.
When i am saying it is the worst pipe,i looked at the big picture.there are many cracks , holes on it.it is not usefull for smoking.it may be just used as a decoration item

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for shedding some light on that Meerqueen. I was thinking that might be the case...that the top layer is not just on the surface, but goes down into the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.