PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dreadlock Holmes

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2023
I have a Mr. Brog Old Army 21, with a Windscreen nailed to the bowl. Now, after owning it for about 4 years, the nails have started coming up. I can just push them back down though. 🤷🏾‍♂️ I have a mind to replace them with longer ones or even use screws. What types of nails or screw materials do you recommend?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I would think jewelers screws or something from a craft store like Michaels etc... but I have never done that repair. I have done jewelry boxes and hinged items though. Go with brass or stainless or nickel if possible. I believe @cosmicfolklore is an expert jeweler and you might ask him. He has made beautiful custom windcaps shown on this forum in past threads. You could also use the same nails after putting a bit of wood filler in the holes with a pin or needle then reinserting nails after it dries.

Last edited:
Small brads will eventually work themself out because of the occasional heat’s affect on the metal and wood.

Small screws would work. You can get them anywhere eyewear is serviced, like LensCrafters or Optometrist. Crafts stores “may” have them, IDK.

Mark Tinsky had advised me to use a heat proof epoxy on the ones that I have made for him. So, I used Epoxy 330.

I hope this helps.

Dreadlock Holmes

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2023
What about removing it entirely to see how you like it?
(I found it more a nuisance than a boon.)
Well mind you the Windscreen includes a metal rim as well... That means even if you find yourself without a pipe lighter and ONLY a cigarette lighter it's okay. Absolutely no rim char.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Take the nail completely out, put some epoxy in the hole with a pin and just push them back in.

I'd also recommend creating a "mechanical grab", since the nail metal will have some level of scrunge on it that will keep glues from sticking to the surface. Meaning score the nails with a file, put some chatter marks put on 'em with sharp side-cutters, etc.

Reactions: Briarcutter

Briarcutter

Can't Leave
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I'd also recommend creating a "mechanical grab", since the nail metal will have some level of scrunge on it that will keep glues from sticking to the surface. Meaning score the nails with a file, put some chatter marks put on 'em with sharp side-cutters, etc.
That's exactly what I'd have done but I didn't want to get too technical😉