PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I'm new to cigar storage, having bought some from SP recently -- not a huge amount (25). As little as I smoke cigars, one every several months--these may last a few years. Can I use large canning jars or mylar bags for storage (got lots on hand from cellaring pipe tobacco)? Thanks for any tips.
kindly,
mike

Jun 25, 2021
England
I've been thinking of using canning Jars also, and just as they come, without any extra humidifiers.
But what do I know, I'm a bit green when it comes to cigars.
It will be interesting to hear what the guys have to say.

1. Store it in an air tight container
2. Throw in 2 x 60 g Boveda packs (1 Boveda for every 25 cigars + 1 Boveda)
3. Check your Boveda every 4-6 months. If your container is really airtight and / or the RH of your house is controlled the Boveda packs should last a long time

Whether the cigars last without Boveda. I don’t know, and I have not heard anyone try and I won’t risk it.

Reactions: instymp
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No to jars or mylar bags for Cigars, at least for long term. They benefit by breathing. Best storage is a humidor. If you do store them in an air right container, don't let them get too most of they'll get mold. You can get a small humidor that will do the job for $75.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
No to jars or mylar bags for Cigars, at least for long term. They benefit by breathing. Best storage is a humidor. If you do store them in an air right container, don't let them get too most of they'll get mold. You can get a small humidor that will do the job for $75.
Mark--(@hoosierpipeguy)is there a small humidor you might recommend? Thanks and a Happy upcoming Turkey day to You and Your's (and to All).
kindly
mike
p.s.--take that dang picture down, it's making me jealous!! :))

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm new to cigar storage, having bought some from SP recently -- not a huge amount (25). As little as I smoke cigars, one every several months--these may last a few years. Can I use large canning jars or mylar bags for storage (got lots on hand from cellaring pipe tobacco)? Thanks for any tips.
kindly,
mike
This will work if and only if the cigars are at an optimum moisture level when you seal them away. Cigars age better if they have limited air exchange, but some air exchange is inevitable in a humidor. If you jar or mylar cigars when they're too wet (a common condition whether receiving cigars from a B&M or an online vendor), you run the risk of mold.

I have debated sitting a bundle of Cuban farm rolls in a humidor for a few months to acclimate to a desirable RH, then sealing in a jar for 10-15 years. Might do it if and when supply issues resolve

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Ditto on cigars needing to breathe.

I bought this Case Elegance Humidor for a friend as a gift and it has been working out well; he much prefers it to using his "Tupperdor" because of the cedar lining. It runs about 99 bucks and holds 25–50 cigars depending on size.

If you ever get more serious about cigars, Elie Bleu humidors are awesome, but very expensive. Their woods are aged and very stable, and their fit and finish is unsurpassed. Their humidification device comes with florist foam which is outdated considering Boveda packs and beads are now more the norm (and probably better), but it's easy enough to replace that with Hearlfelt Beads or the equivalent.

Daniel Marshall has humidors that have nice finishes, but sometimes have problems with their finishes bubbling due to the moisture from the humidification devices from inside the lid; you can often find blemished humidors for almost half the price from places like Northwoods Humidors in Chicago.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
This ^ +1