PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
That is a great collection! Someone likes brass!

I've never owned, nor wanted to own a tamper that didn't have some sort of pick on one end though.
I'm certainly drawn to vintage brass tampers! I found that if I pack my bowl on the loose side, I seldom have need for a pick. Honestly, after the initial light and tamp, I seem to use my finger more often that an actual tamper.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Good Looking collection! I’ve enjoyed collecting tampers about as long as I’ve collected pipes.
I've never owned, nor wanted to own a tamper that didn't have some sort of pick on one end though.
I’m the other way. I don’t disqualify tampers with picks but they are a low priority in a decision to buy or not. My priority is a large tamping surface that won’t pick up ashes. ?

Reactions: brooklynpipeclub
Jan 8, 2013
Those are some great tampers! Not sure about that one on the left though... is that a "monkey say" kind of thing, or is it E.T. stuffing his face with Reese's Pieces?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe nails do the scooping and the tamping, cost nearly nothing, and being cheap don't get lost. However I still get a lift out of using something more unique or elaborate, a willow limb with a fireproof tamper end, or a stainless steal folding tool, or a Czech tool. I'm tempted by those colorful Savinelli tampers with the bright colored handles. But when I get down to business, a pipe nail is it.

Reactions: Casual

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I just use an empty 30-06 cartridge. I’ve got buckets of them sitting around. No sweat if I lose one. Grab another on the way out the next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.