PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I was excited to try this cigar from the moment of its announcement. Plum Pudding is easily my go-to English blend and I was eager to try something that felt novel in the cigar world too. And while (spoiler!) I ultimately liked it okay I guess, I don't feel that this cigar captures the platonic ideal that a Plum Pudding immediately conjures in his mind.

IMG_1883.jpg

Upon inspecting the cigar, I noticed that the pipe tobacco packed in the filler is concentrated more to one side. Not entirely, but enough to be noticeable. After lighting, the cigar began to canoe in under 2 minutes, with the side containing a heavier supply of pipe tobacco burning slower than the rest. Not the best first impression.

Those first couple minutes tasted like neither cigar nor pipe; my brain was telling me it noted hints of rubber and salt. They mellow out, mind you, but you have to endure the initial sensory confusion to find the flavor in the cigar. Once the essences caught their stride and the smoke began to actually impress me, I only had about an inch remaining and the smoke was heating up. The draw was too easy from the get-go and it burned quickly.

My assessment: I think it should have been made differently, in both content and form. Until I looked it up, due to the loose rolling and the canoeing, I'd have assumed it was machine made, though supposedly it isn't. Plum Pudding is one of the best tobaccos in the American market, and yet it was tucked into the cigar leaves of an unknown commodity and rolled too loosely. I feel like this was a mistake. You wouldn't want a waygu beef burger served on a great value bun clad in miracle whip.

I assume that this was done to try to land the SPC's sticks at under $15, but I feel like that was a mistake too. There are numerous fantastic smokes for under 15 and in all reality, it's the most competitive space in the market. I think this would be a time to analyze what companies like Ashton do: they specify and ensure quality and they demand a higher price for their curated product, while Arturo Fuente does all the cigar making. This blend needs - nay, deserves - a similar partnership to ensure that they can surround Plum Pudding with aged leaves picked just for that collaboration.

A Maduro wrapper would have better suited the flavor of the English blend therein, but so would a different rolling technique. Were it rolled more like a Hemingway Short Story (packed much tighter and nearly penciled at the lighting end), I think the draw would have been tighter, the leaf would've burned more evenly, and that if paired with the right fillers, the sensory amalgamation would've emphasized the Plum Pudding that drove so many of us to this particular stick in the first place.

As both a Plum Pudding fan and a cigar fan, I left this experience disappointed, but decidedly hopeful. This is their first crack at it, and in that regard they made something special. I can't say it's an experience I'm looking to repeat without changes being made, but it's worth having tried. For me: 3.5 on a 5 scale.

Last edited:

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Great review. I've been thinking about picking one up but have remained on the fence at the price point. Your 'great value bun' and 'miracle whip' reference encapsulates the situation with wonderful clarity.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and jbfrady

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Great review. I've been thinking about picking one up but have remained on the fence at the price point. Your 'great value bun' and 'miracle whip' reference encapsulates the situation with wonderful clarity.
In its defense, I exaggerated for effect and due to the widespread recognition of those names. For accuracy's sake I'd have specified Laura Lynn buns and mayo, but only folks in driving distance of an Ingles would catch my drift.

Reactions: Bbailey324

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
My experience was quite the opposite, excepting that my cigar did burn fairly quickly.

I've always enjoyed Plum Pudding, but not enough to consider myself a big fan. I haven't bought a tin for myself in at least a couple of years. But I thought I would give this a try regardless, and I really enjoyed it. Mine didn't canoe or tunnel, it had a nice full body but was medium in flavor and finish. I could taste the Latakia and picked up hints of fig and leather. It's not a terribly complex stick, but it was consistent and never harsh. If anything, I liked it more than the pipe tobacco it is based on.

But I did enjoy your review! Hopefully your next cigar is a better one.

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Competing reviews on a cigar I was debating getting for an aficionado to help lure him to our realm.

What to do, what to do ...
I hate to beat SPC up here but I wouldn't suggest it for a cigar aficionado. I believe this is to coax pipe smokers into cigars more than the other way around.

One of the cigar shop owners nearby swears I'll enjoy the Stillwater Star cigars. It's a premium cigar made by someone who's been smoking both cigars and pipes for decades, with pipe tobacco from Jeremy Reeves/C&D in the mix. I'll try one before long I'm sure.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Competing reviews on a cigar I was debating getting for an aficionado to help lure him to our realm.

What to do, what to do ...
Maybe Warped would be a good place to start? They have some good cigars for the price, and their pipe tobacco is plenty good. I do agree with jbfrady that the SPC cigar is probably meant to bridge pipe smokers than cigar smokers

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Sometimes a cigar is not a cigar but rather something a little sweet.
Agreed, though that's why God (in the form of Drew Estate) gave us Sweet Jane and Crazy Alice. Novelty, yet high quality. I'm willing to admit here, however, that the problem is I'm an insatiable prude.

Reactions: kcghost