PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Greetings Pipers! I am rapidly approaching a dozen pipes at this point and most surprisingly just received my third Peterson. I thought I would share what I have learned so far about the storied brand...

Peterson Deluxe Classic Terracotta Bent Rhodesian 999 P-Lip

Those who have read my earlier essays will know that my first Peterson was a 999. I was immediately attracted to the terracotta Rhodesian style and the classy silverwork. I had no idea what a “P-lip” was, as it was only my second pipe ever and my first was a Savinelli. When it arrived it was smaller than I expected. And the first few smokes were quite problematic — the terracotta finish kept coming off on my fingers and hands, and the P-lip stem was too strange to me. I didn’t quite know what to make of it. Meanwhile, my Sav was smoking wonderfully and I decided to set aside the Pete and get some experience with other brands. A Stanwell, Boswell, two Missouri Meerschaums, and a Mark Tinsky filled the gap nicely.

Peterson Deluxe Classic Terracotta Bent Rhodesian 999 P-Lip.jpeg

I almost sold my 999 and wrote the brand off. But Peterson support said that the finish should stop bleeding onto my hands soon (they changed dyes or something), and its relatively small bowl made it a great pipe for trying out new aromatics. So I kept it around. As a result I ended up smoking it quite a bit — the finish did eventually stop coming off (took more than a dozen smokes), and the P-lip experience evolved from strange to intriguing.

Peterson Irish Harp Sandblasted 80s Fishtail

With four other brands purchased and tried, including a second Savinelli, I decided it was time to re-visit Peterson. I wanted the opposite of my 999 -- a medium-size, bulldog-style, non-terracotta finish, and fishtail stem. I found it in the Irish Harp Sandblasted 80s. Thankfully it smoked as well as my Savs from the first bowl! It was also surprisingly affordable. I decided maybe Peterson and I might be able to get along afterall. I was even starting to enjoy smoking my 999 and now had a ‘classic’ style pipe that was a strong performer.

Peterson Irish Harp Sandblasted 80s Fishtail.jpeg

Peterson System Spigot Smooth B42 P-Lip

My success with the 80s made me take a fresh look at Peterson. I started reading threads about their different pipes, their history, and their unique patents. Emboldened by the 80s becoming one of my faves I decided it was time for me to go ‘all-in’: I wanted the full Peterson experience and I was going to purchase a System pipe! The excellent article “Andy Wikes Guide to the System Pipe” on petersonpipenotes.org was really helpful in learning about how the innovations work together to make for a drier and potentially more flavorful smoke.

I originally set out to purchase a “Deluxe System” — wanting the top-range offering with all the bells and whistles. I found a beautiful Deluxe System Smooth B42 on SP and was very close to purchasing it. But something kept drawing me toward the ‘spigot’ style pipes. A Peterson spigot would be very distinct from any of my other pipes. Further research showed that there wasn’t a ‘deluxe’ version of the spigot pipes offered! As far as I could tell, the only structural difference was that the spigot version didn’t have the aluminum chimney or ‘stinger’. It was also almost $150 cheaper (a fact my mind immediately stored away for applying to another pipe in the future)!

Peterson System Spigot Smooth B42 P-Lip.jpeg

The B42 is the largest of my three Petes and my initial smokes with it have been wonderful. I can see it becoming one of my absolute favorites in relatively short time. I am really glad that I stuck with Peterson, kept an open mind, and gave myself the chance to learn experientially. Peterson makes some beautiful, unique, and wonderful pipes and I am proud to enjoy smoking them!

Last edited:

Green Hill Hermit

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Pete's are good, another brand to look into for a wide price range and shapes is savinelli. They are my personal favorites. Enjoy your journey into pipe acquisition!

Reactions: Manawydan

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have plenty o' Petes, and so far, I really enjoy the good ol' system standard. I have some Supremes, Deluxe, and similar, but am not yet convinced that they actually perform "better". Perhaps as I refine my technique I'll be able to pick out nuances that elude me at this point.

I definitely got hooked on the P-lip, it works perfectly "for me". That's my greatest motivator for loving the Petes.

I would like to explore the system spigot, as I suspect they might work slightly better for me than the standard, and I appreciate the appearance. What I'm concerned about though, is the silverwork. I have some stamped silver Petes that seem to fade away just by looking at it, and I'm not into watching the stamps disappear. I'm concerned that the silver would be soft enough that continually removing and inserting them would really mark up and even dent said silver. I might need to pose that question in a different location so it gets answered properly..........

Anyway, not officially a Pete Geek yet, but I've got the mug, lighter, history book, and about 40ish Peterson pipes.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I have plenty o' Petes, and so far, I really enjoy the good ol' system standard. I have some Supremes, Deluxe, and similar, but am not yet convinced that they actually perform "better". Perhaps as I refine my technique I'll be able to pick out nuances that elude me at this point.

I definitely got hooked on the P-lip, it works perfectly "for me". That's my greatest motivator for loving the Petes.

I would like to explore the system spigot, as I suspect they might work slightly better for me than the standard, and I appreciate the appearance. What I'm concerned about though, is the silverwork. I have some stamped silver Petes that seem to fade away just by looking at it, and I'm not into watching the stamps disappear. I'm concerned that the silver would be soft enough that continually removing and inserting them would really mark up and even dent said silver. I might need to pose that question in a different location so it gets answered properly..........

Anyway, not officially a Pete Geek yet, but I've got the mug, lighter, history book, and about 40ish Peterson pipes.
I am certainly going to be a bit gentler with my spigot when removing/replacing the stem, but it doesn’t seem fragile. It also doesn’t take a lot of effort to insert — it snugs pretty quickly.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Looks like your brand choices are solid. I have a 999 Army Mount, fish tail stem. It’s a favorite, sized right and easy to stow away on vacation. Savinelli 316 is another favorite, enjoy it with Burley predominant blends.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Looks like your brand choices are solid. I have a 999 Army Mount, fish tail stem. It’s a favorite, sized right and easy to stow away on vacation. Savinelli 316 is another favorite, enjoy it with Burley predominant blends.
It's really hard to go wrong with any of the majors. I am just really glad that I stuck with Peterson -- they really make some great pipes.

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Very nice pipes and it certainly is a fun journey! I am a new pipe smoker (four months) and two of my six pipes are Petersons. Recently picked up an Arklow Sandblasted 105 and my first was a Fermoy B10. Something about them just spoke to me and thankfully they smoke as good as they look! Nearly every day I find myself surfing various websites looking at other Petersons and I'm constantly telling myself that "I need a system pipe next" or "I should get a spigot" or "I must try a P-lip" or "Peterson churchwardens are beautiful." My wife has been very accomodating and actually picked out the Fermoy for me, but in regards to new pipes, she has told me to "lock it down!" :ROFLMAO:

105.jpegB10.jpeg

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Very nice pipes and it certainly is a fun journey! I am a new pipe smoker (four months) and two of my six pipes are Petersons. Recently picked up an Arklow Sandblasted 105 and my first was a Fermoy B10. Something about them just spoke to me and thankfully they smoke as good as they look! Nearly every day I find myself surfing various websites looking at other Petersons and I'm constantly telling myself that "I need a system pipe next" or "I should get a spigot" or "I must try a P-lip" or "Peterson churchwardens are beautiful." My wife has been very accomodating and actually picked out the Fermoy for me, but in regards to new pipes, she has told me to "lock it down!" :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 316294View attachment 316295
Beautiful pipes -- thanks for sharing.

My last two Pete's were bought within a week of each other. :) I am trying to rein myself in at this point and just enjoy smoking them. Difficult with all the wonderful options out there!