PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Today I won from a seller on eBay the vintage C. Maas Company meerschaum pipe shown in the images below. Hallmarks may be seen on the silver band, but I cannot make them out. Accordingly, I will have to wait until it arrives in order to determine its age. The only meerschaum in my collection to-date is a Barling Manx, so I am eager to see how this one smokes by comparison.
Also, this will be my first pipe with an amber stem, and I would like to know how best to clean/sanitize it. Thank-you for your help with this question!
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
By the color and semi-opaque quality, I think that might be amberoid. Alcohol doesn't have much affect on amberoid. You can use alcohol to clean the airway. The exterior is similar to acrylic in that some stem polish will remove dirt and restore shine. It can also be buffed with a soft wheel and gentle pressure. Be careful though as it can be fragile. If it has heavy tooth marks or needs any kind of repair, I'll be happy to offer comments later.
I'll say the age is 1900 +/- 10 years.
Old meerschaums either smoke really fine or really bad depending on what was smoked in them in the past and what environment they were kept in over the years. Yours looks well smoked but fairly well maintained.
Looking forward to the update.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's one sweet cutty! Sorry can't help with cleaning amber tips!
The number of poor pipe photos has me shaking my head!

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I was not familiar with amberoid; is that a type of synthetic amber?
Yeah, like an early plastic. My understanding is that the progression goes something like: celluloid, amberoid, bakelite, then acrylics. Amberoid is usually (not always) more orange than celluloid. That pipe looks typically amberoid from what I can see. Plus I'm guessing the dating is about right for it. Celluloid is usually a pale amber color and will have some clear spots in it. Celluloid also has camphor in the formulation. So if you rub or sand it briskly you will smell camphor. Alcohol will turn it sticky or gummy. That can be fixed but it's best not to do it.

I think there aren't all that many genuine amber stems. Usually they are pressed amber in an orange swirl pattern. Very fragile stuff. I once dropped a pipe a couple inches onto a desktop and the amber stem broke. Very upsetting. I might have had a carved amber stem in all the antique pipes I've had, but I doubt it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Standard 6 1/2 inch 'cutty' with silver reinforcing band either put on at the time of manufacture or added later as a repair.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
You guys watch eBay as much as I do. My feeling is that in that 1900 time frame the English liked their new cased pipes with silver on them more often than not. Possibly a repair, likely original says I. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.