PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
This year we shot a pretty vanilla (read that as plain or basic) show mostly due to limited space. It was located on the Jetty by the light house in Crescent City, CA. Anyhow, two of the songs in the soundtrack were blocked by the songs copyright owners so they could NOT be played in Russia and one of those also blocked in Belarus. Guess the song owners have such a hard on for those countries, they are not allowed to hear their music.

I NEVER hardly get to see any fireworks in the sky since I am always running the firing panel. This year, my son flew my drone and got some great footage for me. Or as good as it can be for what we fired.

If you watch the video below, keep an eye out for the FROWNING face shell @ 2:01 mark. Our best guess is the person at the factory had a bad day while making SMILING face shells. LMFAO

Put the settings to 4k and full screen!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Would love to see more of your stuff at some point, being a red blooded male fireworks have always been a favorite of mine. When Dom is in town i would meet him at Disney and head up to the top of Bay Tower to have cigars and watch the park fireworks from the roof deck, a really cool view of the show.

• Love
Reactions: onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Would love to see more of your stuff at some point, being a red blooded male fireworks have always been a favorite of mine. When Dom is in town i would meet him at Disney and head up to the top of Bay Tower to have cigars and watch the park fireworks from the roof deck, a really cool view of the show.
the BEST shows I have worked on or operated on have been both North Shore Tahoe and South Shore Tahoe. There is some footage floating around from some of those shows. Some good, some not so good, some great footage.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
CA
@onepyrotec
Heard the Tahoe show this year was a drone light show and no fireworks.

Would have driven north had I know you were doing the Crescent City fireworks.

Hope to see one of your show in person.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Crescent City vid: Excellent! But I so wanted to feel and hear the sonic booms. Now, that wasn't a drone was it that stayed so steady for almost 20 minutes??

And, I'd have thought a person in Russia watching a 4th of July fireworks would soon be in front of a firing squad!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This reads like it wasn't the Russians who blocked the playing of these songs but rather the rights holders of the songs. A substantial difference in the meaning.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@onepyrotec

Me, too. The visuals are great, but with no boom! it seems only half there.,

Where do you live within driving distance of C.C.?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This reads like it wasn't the Russians who blocked the playing of these songs but rather the rights holders of the songs. A substantial difference in the meaning.
Of course. I had no other thought.

My question has to do with the playing of any pro American vid in Russia. Capiche?

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Of course. I had no other thought.

My question has to do with the playing of any pro American vid in Russia. Capiche?
They have no beef with us ordinary folks and they have really accurate missiles nowadays, so hopefully only those at the top can trade the blows.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
@onepyrotec

Drone light shows are not my cup of tea but the world is going that way unfortunately. I didn't know South Lake followed North Shore in the change over to drones. The company I shoot for no longer do those shows. After our lawyers saved them from the huge law suit years ago, they took a cheaper bid and used another company.

I will most likely be shooting Crescent City again next year. My crew and I requested to return.

I have worked on and operated several shows in South Lake. I miss those days of shooting in my back yard. Even North Shore went drone light shows. I shot North Shore for a few years as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and sfduke

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Me, too. The visuals are great, but with no boom! it seems only half there.,

Where do you live within driving distance of C.C.?
My son was flying the drone near where the jetty makes a left turn. The cheap microphone we used didn't pick up the pop of the shells as we had hoped so we didn't edit that sound it. The sound was horrible. Better microphone will be ordered for the future shows.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
The Crescent City vid: Excellent! But I so wanted to feel and hear the sonic booms. Now, that wasn't a drone was it that stayed so steady for almost 20 minutes??

And, I'd have thought a person in Russia watching a 4th of July fireworks would soon be in front of a firing squad!
Yes, it was a drone that took the footage. I use a DJI Mini Pro 4 with extended batteries. It can stay in the air taking video around 35 minutes I believe.

edit: I just watched it again, it was rather steady. The wind was only about 7-9 mph that night.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr