PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I posted a while back that I bought this old Dr. Grabow in an antique store for $5. It wasn't in terrible condition but it wasn't something that I wanted to stick in my mouth right away. In my research I found out that this pipe is circa 1955. Here are some before and after pics of my restoration atempts.
Before.

DSC00987.jpg

After

DSC01017.jpg

Before

DSC00988.jpg

After - Could still use some more on top. It is pitted in several places and still looks rough.

DSC01019.jpg

Before

DSC01003.jpg

After

DSC01021.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
After doing some comparisons, all in all nothing too spectacular. The biggest fix was the bit was over clocked and I was happy to have been able to fix that. Though you can see the tool marks. I just grabbed it with some plyers and twisted the metal insert until it was right.
I was amazed after following uncle arthurs advice of using toothpaste to polish the stem. It had the sam affect of using armer all on a car dash.
By the way, I started a Grabow group. "Patients of Dr. Grabow"

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Eagle,that stinger (the part you twisted with the pliers) is just pushed into the threaded tenon of the stem.It's meant to be removable.Taking it out makes it much easier to clean the stem inside. Once cleaning is done just shove it back in there-if you want,some guys leave them out.Don't throw it away as guys who restore Grabows are always looking for them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Looks like somebody, at one time, thought pretty highly of it as a smoker. Previously enjoyed, as they say.

Nice pipe. I'd pull the stinger out per ejames and smoke it. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.