PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

/Adam\

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
Untill now i I’ve only bought cobs and a few cheaper eBay estate pipes. I’ve had lots of trouble deciding on which new Pipe to buy. Figured I can’t go wrong with the Matches 860 Friday Savinelli so I pulled the trigger. They sent me an Oceano by mistake, I dont really care for the baby blue swirl on this pipe or I’d have just kept it. had to send it back and play the waiting game some more. Not the best luck for my first new pipe buying experience. And the bad luck seems to have continued too. This Particular pipe is a little wonky in a few spots. The bowl looks like it is chunkier on one side, where the shank meets the bowl isn’t too symmetrical on both sides either. It’s a little wonky but I’m not too picky. Guess I’ll just have to take the good with the bad and hope for better next time. IMG_1901.jpegIMG_1900.jpegIMG_1901.jpegIMG_1901.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Untill now i I’ve only bought cobs and a few cheaper eBay estate pipes. I’ve had lots of trouble deciding on which new Pipe to buy. Figured I can’t go wrong with the Matches 860 Friday Savinelli so I pulled the trigger. They sent me an Oceano by mistake, I dont really care for the baby blue swirl on this pipe or I’d have just kept it. had to send it back and play the waiting game some more. Not the best luck for my first new pipe buying experience. And the bad luck seems to have continued too. This Particular pipe is a little wonky in a few spots. The bowl looks like it is chunkier on one side, where the shank meets the bowl isn’t too symmetrical on both sides either. It’s a little wonky but I’m not too picky. Guess I’ll just have to take the good with the bad and hope for better next time. View attachment 339295View attachment 339296View attachment 339295View attachment 339295
I don't notice anything off about it in the photos. I think many/most pipes are slightly wonky in some places when closely examined. I think it is a very fine looking pipe, and 2 of my all-time favorite pipes have been unfinished Savinelli Series IIIs.

/Adam\

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
Smoked 2 half bowls of Boswell’s Northwoods through it so far and decided I’d post an update of sorts. It’s hands down the best smoke I’ve had to date. And not just by a little either. it came with a wood filter that I removed and it draws so good. Produces big beautiful puffs of smoke and doesn’t get hot at all. It’s the tastiest and coolest smoker I own.

I’m also happy to hear that most pipes are a little wonky. Makes me feel like my luck isn’t as bad as I thought. Thanks fellas.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Beautiful pipe. And yes I would have returned the other one too, as I don't do funky colored stems or anything like that. I don't like bamboo stems or wood inlays of the sort even. But I'd never own a pipe with a blue or green or pink stem.

I believe what you are seeing as far as "wonky" areas, is just the sandblasting. It going to be slightly different widths in other areas due to that. Some times the blasts carve a little deeper, if that part is softer.

Homer

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Nice looking pipe.
It’s factory pipe that can have imperfections like any other pipe.
My peterson pide is my only pipe that don’t pass pipe cleaner. Peterson and Savinelli are also affordable pipes so they are not the best of the best.
Just smoke it and don’t worry.